View Single Post
Old 02-27-2014, 01:16 PM   #7
jyoung
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38
Re: New Tony Hawk Game to be Exclusive to Mobile Devices

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVCbearcat10
In a lot of ways, I think this is a good idea. I'm not sure this series can ever capture the magic of the originals that were first released on PlayStation. There's not really a face to skateboarding anymore, Tony did so much to elevate the sport and bring the X-Games mainstream.
Shaun White is basically today's equivalent of what Tony Hawk was back in the 1990s.

Ubisoft tried publishing Shaun White Snowboarding (2008) and Shaun White Skateboarding (2010).

In North America, Skateboarding sold an estimated 280,000 copies on three platforms (Wii, 360, PS3). Snowboarding sold an estimated 1.38 million across five platforms (360, PS3, PS2, PSP, DS).

So the market just doesn't seem to be there on North American consoles anymore for a big-budget skateboarding game.

OlliOlli does seem to be doing well on Vita, but it's a much smaller-scale project with less than a dozen people working on it.

Quote:
Weak. Hopefully EA doesn't wuss out like this.

Note to EA: Just DLC the crap out of any new Skate game. People will understand. New boards to buy, new clothing, new skate park pieces, etc. As long as it adds to the game, rather than makes it complete.
The studio that developed all three Skate games, BlackBox, was shut down by EA in 2013.

I doubt there will be another Skate game any time soon. If there is, it will have to come from a completely different team than the guys who made the original trilogy.