View Single Post
Old 04-28-2014, 03:05 AM   #1
dmbfan1970
Pro

OVR: 9
Criticism regarding one area of the show that needs vast improvement... (Long)

First of all I want to thank the SCEA team for making the best baseball game ever. I don't need to say anymore, they've heard this all before. I only say it really, because I'm afraid If I say anything negative about the game I'll have everyone hating me.

Look, I have been a member here for quite some time now. I went to CES MANY times and took videos, photos, played against Ramone and asked him many questions that were submitted by many of you and reported feedback to the forum. But how many times have a ever created a thread? So think before you come down on me.

I'm an old man who loves baseball and video baseball simulation (yes, earl weaver baseball was my first love). I live and breath baseball and this game. I bought the PS3 for one game and now the PS4. I don't play many games. In fact in the last 10 years I have played maybe 15 games besides this game(Call of Duty, Resident Evil, uh..uh I don't remember!).

So with that being said...

The area that concerns me is ONLINE. I know many of you out there despise playing online. It has been my dream for years (back when better graphics started happening ex. amiga/atari computers). I guess it starts off with I can remember playing video game baseball with my buddies. We would spend hours playing obviously as kids. But when the real world showed up (realizing that there is more to life than video games, GIRLS!) there wasn't never enough time in the day to do everything you wanted to do.

This is why ONLINE appeals to me. I long dreamed that I could come home from work (often in the middle of the night) and fire up the video console and play friends of mine and possibly around the world. My friends and I thought it could never happen. And when it did start appearing in the 2K series I was stoked! There may have been other online video baseball at that time? I dunno but this one struck me because the graphics were insane(at the time) and I couldn't believe I could hook up with my buddies(long departed to different states). Then MVP Baseball happened and I was in love but desired it to play online. I think '05 did on xbox. I know you can play online with computer still to this date I believe.

I then became really involved and starting showing up at CES around 2007. I was hanging around the 2K booth for I believe 2 years if not 3. Unfortunately I could only play the marketing guy there. You could tell he didn't know everything.

Can't remember when I FINALLY jumped shipped and traded my xbox in for a SONY. Best move I ever did! Anyways then I (2009 maybe? I know I didn't have 2K9!). I then met a very knowledgeable man. I couldn't even remember his name. Because I believe I met him BEFORE they started coming into the OS forums. His name is Ramone of course.

When I met him I was struck by how much input he had with his knowledge of the game. Course the more he kept talking I knew that he was WAY beyond the 2K guy. I would eventually ask him what he did for SONY of course, but I knew he was a behind the scenes guy.

Then the rest is history. They would join us here on OS and then they would have the group day where there were guys from this forum invited to do testing on the game. You lucky guys!!

Then I started fading out of going to CES because the crew that goes to SD do all that now. But I do miss going there and talking and playing a game or 2 with Ramone. I hope to be going again next year as the game has come a long way now and waiting on the PS4 version.

Sorry for all the backstory.. I feel like it's a must in ANY forum to fully explain yourself. People take things the wrong way and overreact and try to control the thread. I lurk 98 percent of the time because I don't need all that drama in my life.

SO WITH ALL THAT BEING SAID:

I have long enjoyed playing the Show online for around 6 or 7 years.. Even tho it has been a real battle with various league problems, online glitches, lag, cheaters, etc over the years I STILL find it enjoyable. Why? Because nothing beats playing a human (who plays simulation style, not lobby play) rather than a computer. No matter how realistic this game plays (it really is great, but) it's no fun playing against computer for me.

SCEA has really responded to issues over the course of these years. So I really do commend them for listening to complaints. They take great pride in what the community here has to say and what they want to see. It never ceases to amaze me the number of complaints and wants that people have here. The majority of you all are so damn spoiled with this game. Developers contributing in a public forum about their product? Developers listening to people who cry and mope and gloat and still continue to listen to us? You want a particular area on a scoreboard to be a different shade of frickin' blue? Ok, we will do our best to get that in the game next year. And usually they do!

I beg of you to search my posts and see how many times I have made a negative comment. I may of made comments back in the 2K days (who wouldn't?) but you won't find any about the show.

So you see where I am going with this? After 7 years thereabouts most of the modes in the show have been constantly been getting overhauled including facelifts, game improvements, lighting etc. They have even created new modes or HR derby stuff.

I just don't understand how this mode always gets neglected. Will there ever be a year where we don't have trouble with the servers/connection or whatever it is that prevents us to play the game flawlessly as if we were playing online. I know a lot of things are involved with good connection. I understand there will be times where it will be laggy.

THE POINT OF THIS WHOLE STORY!

I just think this mode needs a major overhaul or dedicated servers or whatever it takes. This is a system seller of a game. I think if the game played like it does offline then more and more people would play in this mode. I know most don't because of the cheaters and people who play just to win ( you know, takes advantage of you anyway possible to win.. they don't care about playing the right way ). I have been a part of a great online league the past several years. All our guys play legitimately. It is a beautiful thing when you have that many guys in a league and play win or lose. I don't like to play lobby games either. Total waste of time and energy.

I know online got some love as I read the fact sheet. That is all fine and dandy but the game needs to play much better. I don't think we were ever given a real reason as why it was a broken mode all those years and they just patched things here and there but seem to break something else along the way every year.

I realize that programming is hard and very taxing. But as good as SONY is about testing their product before they ship it the ONLINE mode always escapes them? Because there is always something wrong with it every year. They do make great strides to patch but.. The whole point of this is why they would never make this mode as good as say the franchise or RTTS.

Whew.. I hope you fount this read enjoyable. I get very thoughtful under the influence! I hope all that made sense. Like I said, I rambled on because I feel it's a must to fully explain yourself when you bring up a negative on a great game like the Show.

Did I say I love this game? I love it very much. I know it can be better and I'm sure they want it better as well. I want so very much for the online experience to be improved and hoping that with the power of the PS4 maybe this can happen? Does anyone know if they've commented on improvement in the play ability of online?

Thanks for listening fellow forum members and SCEA

Last edited by dmbfan1970; 04-28-2014 at 03:20 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove