View Single Post
Old 05-31-2014, 10:05 PM   #82
Wake
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: I suffer from RDS (Restarting Dynasty Syndrome)

I had this exact same problem, it always ended up with me getting really good, I decided that it was really too boring after I had a dynasty that went into year 2031. That's 18 seasons!

So what I do is try to be realistic. I noticed that no matter what team I do a dynasty as, they always end up being really good and unbeatable. So I handicap myself. I made these rules:

1. Don't use any of the coaching tree skills. Leave all the points unspent for the head coach, offensive and defensive coordinator. These make the game too easy, especially the recruiting ones.

2. Turn down your coaching philosophy aggressiveness and sim all special teams, unless it is 4th and short. This is because I can return half of all punts and kickoffs for touchdowns or huge gains and when I kick field goals, I always make them. I've never given up a punt return touchdown either. So simulating them makes it more realistic in the sense that you can score 21 points without ever having your offense step on the field.

If you do these rules, you won't get a class full of 5 star recruits and end up cutting half of them because of no space, and you will never be able to win those 10 straight national championships with an average margin of victory of 60 points. Without scouting, which I just don't bother to do, some recruits come in as huge busts. This is like real life, how many 4 and 5 star recruits never even see the field? A lot of them actually don't because they stop trying in college or have off the field issues, and this simulates that.

This makes the game more fun for me at least. Playing as Illinois through 4 seasons, I've gone 4-8, 6-6 + a bowl game loss, 11-2 and a Rose Bowl win, then 6-6 with a bowl game loss because all the good players from my 3rd season left and unlike other dynasties, I didn't already have a roster full of 5 star recruits. I was mainly getting 3 stars with OVR's of 60-70. This keeps things interesting and makes a lot of games close.