View Single Post
Old 06-02-2014, 10:28 PM   #51
royals19
MVP

OVR: 25
Re: The Cardinal Way Part 2: Ascension

And the streak keeps going and going...
I thought that I would be coming back here to report a change in our situation... to say that we had actually won a game. But no, twas not to be. Instead, we're now halfway through May and still stuck in neutral. Yadier Molina is hitting .189, Joe Kelly has sucked in the rotation and 2nd base is still a pain in the ***.

Quote:
Michael Wacha didn't pitch a bad game. In fact, he threw really well going 7 innings with 4 hits and 7 strikeouts. This time it was the offense who really couldn't get going. Gerrit Cole was absolutely on fire and finished the game in under 90 pitches. How can be expect to win games if our guys can't even knock the starting pitcher out of the game?

To make matters worse, Gregory "El_Coffee" Polanco won round two of the phenoms and was on fire again. We've tried all sorts of avenues to shut down Polanco but he keeps finding ways.

Quote:

Against the Braves, it was the same exact thing. The Braves pitching shut us down and Kris Medlen pitched a complete game in under 90 pitches. If that wasn't another cause for concern, just look at the errors. You just can't have 5 error games and expect to win ball games.

On top of that, when you factor in Justin Upton, the revamped BJ Upton and Jason Heyward... tonight's game was a recipe for disaster right from the word go.

Quote:
Up in Cincinnati, things looked worse. For the first time, this team really just rolled over and died. The offense couldn't get going against Homer Bailey and Lance Lynn was effectively left out to dry.

On top of that, Jay Bruce continues to be a Cardinal killer and keeps swatting everything out of the park. Everytime we've gone up north this season, we've been ambushed by the division-leading Reds.
As I said earlier, we're already half-way through May and we still can't seem to get anything going. Right now, Oscar Taveras, Matt Holliday and Jacoby Ellsbury are driving the offense and trying to give us something to hang our hat on.

Pitching and defense are the heart of our ball club so when they aren't where they usually are, our ball club struggles. We're 3rd in baseball in home runs but when we don't have the ability to stop other teams from scoring runs, it's hard to win ball games.

Something has to turn around quick for our team to hop back into the postseason race.

I've heard that sound 3 times... once was Babe Ruth, the second was Josh Gibson, and the third was Bo Jackson- Buck O'Neil

Advertisements - Register to remove