Old 06-03-2014, 02:50 PM   #24
infemous
MVP

infemous's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: Passing/ WR/DB interactions need an overhaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedingGreen83
There's so little time to throw that having any kind of gauge, like on kick offs, would make it impossible to throw. OL blocking is laughably bad. I think the mechanics now are good, like how long you hold the button. Everything else about passing sucks.

Speaking of passing and bad OL... the screen game is so bad.i can't count how many times I have open field in front of my and I only need ONE of the THREE OL running in front of me to block the one DB and not one of them attempts to block him and it's like a 2yard gain.
when I say gauge I mean that it works in exactly the same way as the FIFA passing gauge. It is just a meter that can be visible or not that is entirely dependent on how long you hold it. The difference between what we have now and what I am suggesting is that instead of having 3 'ranges' which is touch, middle and power that are kind of roughly estimated and are an inexact science, you can create a method that has very specific and controllable stages.

Think of it like on FIFA when playing on manual settings, just a simple X pass to the guy to the left of you, you have to mentally take into account how much velocity you want to put on the pass, and there are clear differences when you release the button at different times.

Essentially, they need to create like a million more trajectories and map it to a functional system, which then takes into account throwing animation style (for wind up).

A perfect example of the mechanic I am suggesting is in Top Spin Tennis 4.

Check it out. Its so simple and so effective, just under utilised due to the lack of animations (or signature ones) - but it works because a player's attributes aren't the only aspect that determine whether you like using them, meaning you have to really search to find someone who fits your playstyle. This search for someone who fits your playstyle in Madden would essentially force players to discover 'scheme fits' and develop their own scheme instead of taking Cam Newton/RGIII and running around and flinging it down field all the time.

Some dude could pick apart your D with Ryan Fitzpatrick because he's mastered the way to utilise his skillset and he can read a defense well enough to overcome his shortcomings.

I get giddy imagining the possibilities such a simple adjustment could make to one of the most underwhelming aspect of the game.

(of course, it'd be funny to hear how bad the backlash would be because people couldn't throw for 600 yards every game until they got used to it. I know a lot of people who gave up on Top Spin after struggling at first, when all it took me was about 5 days of actually working on it to start seeing some success and to discover what it was I looked for in a player)