Old 06-06-2014, 09:36 AM   #125
VDusen04
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: NBA 2K15 Ships on October 7th, Pre-Order and Get the KD MVP Bonus Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clappington
Guess some of you guys don't understand that 2k is a company and being a company, you are going to do what gets you the most money, you always want to maximize your earnings off someone as a company. They know lots of people would easily spend a lot of money buying VC so why turn down that money? From a company stand point, putting in this VC system was the best thing to happen to them, just go on twitter and just look at Ronnie timeline, I remember couple months ago a dude said he had every player in the game, he said he spent 2k bucks getting them, as a company thats what you love to hear because thats more money, rather you like it or not, video game companies are greedy and it will always be like that. for the people who complain about always online, we all know why its on the game so lets stop complaining, shoulda told ya homies on 360 to stop hacking all the time.
There's a point there. 2K is, in fact, a company and their point is to make money. I think the question would be whether their approach here is sustainable over the long run.

Through decades of working toward only creating the ultimate simulation basketball game (except for ESPN NBA Basketball 2004), 2K was able to build themselves a very worthy and loyal fanbase. As such, when they began introducing VC and other non-simulation/realism money-making schemes, a lot of folks were already on the bandwagon from their previous success.

If (and that's a big if) 2K continues down the VC/fantasy/My/AlwaysOnline path in 2K15, I think a lot of folks are going to be hopping off that bandwagon. The question will then become: will there be enough folks sticking around (who love playing the fantasy modes) to make up for the numbers lost otherwise? If the answer is yes, then people like me are just going to be out of luck. We're looking for simulation, customization, and realism but we'll have nowhere to go.

However, I also think it's possible that this hurts 2K's brand over the long run, and a game that felt untouchable just a few years ago could become quite vulnerable. 2K has no competition now, but if this super-early-possibly-meaningless release is any indication, they could be leaving that door wide open.

Unfortunately, I think the most likely route is 2K will continue to cash in while people looking for realism (not just on the court, but off as well) will be completely out of luck. Before, when NBA Live began going arcade in the early 2000's, we had NBA 2K as a simulation alternative. We no longer have that alternative.
Advertisements - Register to remove