View Single Post
Old 06-06-2014, 01:50 PM   #156
PatsSB2015
Banned

PatsSB2015's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Madden NFL 15 Official Trailer, Ultimate Edition Details and a Few Screenshots

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjcheezhead
You're right. First week sales are important just like opening weekend for movies. A lot of movies make up losses in DVD sales, but no one cares. Only how it did opening weekend.

The other fact blind defenders like to ignore is that madden was outsold by a basketball game last year. A basketball game that had an alternative basketball offered in nba live.

That's unheard of. Basketball is probably one third as popular as football. A mediocre football game should kill a great basketball game on that alone..and 2k had a ton of backlash from its vc.

Madden is still a money printer, but it's not the popular game it was before the exclusive. Not even close. A game shouldn't lose sales after killing off it's competitor at all, and it shouldn't get out sold by less popular brands. But madden did both.
You're right. Opening Box Office numbers do matter. EA stock took a dive because the numbers were down 40% its opening week vs. Madden NFL 13. Stock holders DO take notice of that sort of thing hence why the debate is relevant.

To be fair, there are possible explanations as to why the open sales dropped compared to the year before. Like introducing a new console to the franchise, but that's just a soft theory. All theories will be soft until we see how it goes for Madden NFL 15.

Still, it's good to debate because despite the reasons, the stats are fairly accurate. I think it's still odd that an anniversary game didn't break last year's record. That's just me though. I understand the next-gen argument, I just don't think that's why Madden NFL 25 didn't do as well as Madden NFL 13.