Old 06-13-2014, 10:04 PM   #132
Robo COP
Pro

Robo COP's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: EA Still Owns the NFL License Exclusively

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
People forget that it wasn't just the NFL that went exclusive that week. I forget what the time frame was, but within a couple weeks the NFL, NCAA, and Arena League all went exclusive. And all the licenses went to EA. There's no way it was all coincidence. I'd go so far to say it was a concerted effort by EA Sports to lock up as many properties as they could before 2K or Sony could react. Let's not forget how close the NBA was to signing an exclusive agreement during that time frame. Fortunately David Stern (if I recall correctly) was having none of that. 2K takes a consolation prize with partial exclusivity for MLB baseball which kills EA's MVP Baseball and the rest is history.

Yes the NFL deserves blame, but there's no way anyone can say EA wasn't complicit in trying to eliminate any competition it had. There's no way all those exclusive licenses signed within a relatively short time frame within each other and was just a coincidence.

So it's not a stretch to say EA was scared.
What I'm saying is it's not a matter of if they were "scared." At all. Nobody gives a damn, especially not them. Because they are at the top of the game right now. This is how the free market in America works currently. They saw a way to eliminate their competition and did it. It was a great decision on their part really.

I understand the whole being mad about how it panned out and there being no competition to push the games forward, I hate that too. But let's be realistic and stop trying to villainize EA for doing what made the most sense and benefited their company. We all would have done the same thing had we been put into that position