Old 06-15-2014, 10:21 AM   #230
CM Hooe
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45
Re: EA Still Owns the NFL License Exclusively

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjcheezhead
Every example on your list is a product that can be replaced with a new company in almost no time at all. Also all an exclusive deal with Coke means to me is that only Coke products will be sold in stadium. It has no effect on me as a consumer buying soda anywhere else.

You're a developer, I'm not. But I know video games are a different beast. It takes a couple years to develop a game, and then companies build off that foundation. With a new exclusive of several years, EA will have 5 years of development put into their game on these consoles alone. A new developer won't be able to deliver a game that can beat madden when the license opens up. So the NFL is doing EA a huge favor and hurting themselves at the negotiating table long term.
Video games are a different beast, yes.

That said, how is the NFL hurting themselves? They are getting their money from EA, and their brand is being represented by a product which sells very well and the critical consensus of said product is that it is at least "good", sometimes "great".

If Madden were truly seen by the vast majority of people as a low-quality product, the NFL might consider changing partners. Currently there's no reason for them to do this.

Last edited by CM Hooe; 06-15-2014 at 10:24 AM.