View Single Post
Old 06-20-2014, 05:21 PM   #88
RACZILLA
Run After Catch

OVR: 13
Re: Has anyone noticed the pre-play fidgets now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantBlue76
Thanks for posting on this Rac. I would certainly hope that this does not happen, but from the outside looking in, it can certainly seem like this is the way of things at times.

History doesn't seem to agree with your statement here. Madden sales blew up from its inception to 2004. That's 15 years and massive sales number increases year over year, so those stats would not really align with your statement. Most people who buy a yearly sports game will line up in droves to buy the next one if the previous version was really, really good. This is due to assuming that the current version was so well done, I can't wait to see what they do in the NEXT version. People won't buy the NEXT version of the game if they feel the development team will not do much to improve on it that following year.
When it comes to year over year sales, it's true that sometimes there's growth year over year for a certain period of time.

What I'm saying is it's often not the exact same people buying the game each year. You're talking about a large pool of potential buyers and aren't always hitting the same people even when the year over year numbers are fairly consistent. A bit part of that is about what else is in the market at the same time.

It's also worth mentioning that across the course of some of these franchises that the market has changed a lot. It's pretty different from say that period 10 years ago that you mentioned.