Old 06-20-2014, 09:31 PM   #3948
JoshC1977
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: NCAA 14 - OS Community + Playmakers Split Sliders

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshC1977
Following a discussion Matt and I had via PM, I am trying to see if there is an impact on changing the Coaching Defensive Run/Pass Ratio. I have NOT tried this in-game, but wanted to see how it might impact the sim stats. All coaches were globally changed to a 50/50 run-pass ratio for Defense. If the numbers look good, I might consider to see how this plays in-game. The idea is to see if we can leverage this to get better pass defense without changing the slider settings (perhaps with a balanced setting, they will play to the opposing team's strengths). This may or may not impact the run game, but I think we could address that if needed. Here are the results. Note: all other previous changes are still in effect. For ease, here they are

• Stamina dropped by 30 for all HBs
  • Coaching Aggression set to 50 for both offense and defense (all coaches)
  • Pass/Run ratio set to 50/50 for all coaches (defense only)
The numbers following 1 sim:

• 44 players with over 200 rushing attempts (44 IRL)
  • 2 players with over 300 rushing attempts (6 HBs IRL)
  • 61 players with over 1000 rushing yards (50 IRL)
  • 1 player with 2000 rushing yards (1 IRL)
  • Top receiver (catches) - 85 (131 IRL)
  • Top receiver (yards) - 1389 (1731 IRL)
  • Number of 1000 yard receivers - 14 (43 IRL)
  • Most passing yards - 3491 (5083 IRL)
  • Number of 3000 yard passers - 7 (31 IRL)
  • Number of QBs with 60%+ completion percentage - 15 (69 IRL)
The numbers are very comparable to past sims and didn't have a major impact on the overall numbers, although there was a slight uptick in passing numbers; but not enough to not consider it statistical variability. There was a very odd top 25 though, only a couple of teams with 1 loss (one undefeated team - ECU), and several powerhouses (Ohio State, Bama, LSU, Auburn, FSU, etc.) with three or more losses. Again, maybe a coincidence...

Going to play a couple of games to see what I think....

I'm going to try a game or two and just see (OP slider set with PCV at 80 for both sides).
I ran a few experiments and I am not vouching that changing the coaching pass-run ratio to 50:50 (on defense) makes the game play better. However, I do believe that teams play more towards their opponent's coaches tendencies. If your team favors the pass, they play more towards the pass, if you favor the run, they play towards the run. I also think that goal line play calling may be enhanced.

I ran a little experiment using Navy. I played some with their natural tendencies (20:80 towards the run). The defense was geared-up towards the run, with more limited blitzing (limited in that they maybe rushed 5). Play action or straight pass plays were a little more wide open as well. I started the game over; this time after edited all of Navy's coaches to 85:15 in favor of passing. I saw more pass-oriented defensive play calls than before; I could actually run on them again. I don't think it affected the players at all, but just the plays called. Of course, even a slight enhancement in the play calling can make things go a bit better.

I don't think slider changes would be necessary if one were to implement this philosophy. However, if play-action became too powerful, I'd be tempted to bump up the CPU run defense slider by 5 or 10 points to cause them to "bite" less on it.

In my continuing efforts to avoid constantly having to change coach ratings before and after games (because I am a lazy SOB), I ran another simulation with all coaches adjusted (same as the quoted post).

Here are the results (same as before - through 12 games - not counting conf. championship games or bowl games):

(Note that all of these sims were done with Buffeyes roster, which modestly lowers THA for QBs)
  • 43 players with over 200 rushing attempts (44 IRL)
  • 0 players with over 300 rushing attempts (6 HBs IRL)
  • 61 players with over 1000 rushing yards (50 IRL)
  • 0 players with 2000 rushing yards (1 IRL)
  • Top receiver (catches) - 88 (131 IRL)
  • Top receiver (yards) - 1202 (1731 IRL)
  • Number of 1000 yard receivers - 6 (43 IRL)
  • Most passing yards - 3446 (5083 IRL)
  • Number of 3000 yard passers - 5 (31 IRL)
  • Number of QBs with 60%+ completion percentage - 14 (69 IRL)
All-in-all, numbers are reasonably stable. I think it would be safe to make this change globally to see how well it works with this slider set.