Old 06-25-2014, 08:46 PM   #48
hanzsomehanz
MVP

hanzsomehanz's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: E3 Gameplay Analysis and Breakdown Play by Play

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverines05
so to get back on topic... hah... what improvements in gameplay do you see though? id rather focus on what needs fixing exactly or what looks improved instead of talking about the state of the franchise and how it compares to other sports games on the market.

I did not see anything gamebreaking but I also did not see any breakthroughs, however, and in fairness, I tuned out your commentary so as to not be persuaded by any opinions... I did listen to your commentary on the first run but did not have a rate or review at the time.

Gore vs Wagner

I immediately like what I see in that wrap tackle by Wagner on the first play. In that same play however, my eyes are offended to see how unnatural Gore's running strides and arm swings are in contrast to his actual frame rate of speed.

It is like the running animation is programmed to look like poetry in motion lol but that does not belong here, especially on Frank Gore.

Holistically, I like what I see, especially in the trenches - specifically the double team blocking. I really only see this vs 3-4 linemen on 360 so it is refreshing to see it vs 4-3 - thanks Clint.

Quote:
I see some refinement can be applied to LB reaction times vs runs.
The Seahawk 'backers are breaking down and sizing up the backfield but their individuality is diminished once the ball is handed off as you clearly see them move as a static unit towards Gore with the same pursuit movements.

Ideally, I would like to see some defenders in the backfield secondary and linebacking crew attack sooner and knife-through (x) holes before the ball is handed off

This would essentially benefit the purpose of play rec (player sense) and awareness but as it is shown here: it is like seeing your two CB's react in the same unit fashion to dual curl routes or dual out routes - all sense of individuality is gone and the players are rendered simple polygons w no distinct player sense

Errant Throws

Simply put, feedback is needed.

There was no pressure on Kap on that attempted pass to Vernon Davis running the corner route. Kap has his feet set and Vernon is butt naked open - did the user apply too much pressure? Too little? Did he lead pass too hard?

Taking a feedback tip from NBA titles, Madddn could benefit from a feedback system for QBs that mimics that of the free-throw and field goal feedback in Basketball videogames.

Void of feedback we are rendered to believe the outcomes are spotted by total random acts that satisfy an arbitrary status quo of errant passes.

A feedback system would serve as just that: it would give you a sense of pressure, timing, and footwork in and out of the pocket.

A perfect release in basketball does not guarantee a made shot and I would accept the same in Madden so long as we have a sysytem of guidelines for outcome to strive for.

You could get a perfect release with Shaq or Dwoight Howard but ultimately he is a poor free throw shooter to begin with -- ratings must still matter as percent chance factors.

NBA titles also offer you ability to time your own releases or have the game simulate the outcome based on the player's real life shooting percentage chances.

The above can all go a long way including incorporating hot and cold passing field zones that QBs are prone to succeed and fail at, like NBA players on the courts.

In the Pros, some QBs are more exceptional and proficient than others at throwing outs vs slants or curls vs fades - these distinct traits show up in basketball titles but not yet Madden.

A subtle breakthrough >> I witnessed on this very play to Vernon that he and the DE made incidental (press) contact - it is not clear who initiated it but they both flared their arms as they pressed off eachother and attempted to regain their balance!

Conclusion

Critically, there is more to proclaim than acclaim and the above is the most praisworthy while also being possibly the most subtlest of details to be observed carefully.

In effect, my review simply leaves me with a taste of more to be desired and my ask is that EA Tiburon offer us more individuality, kill the bravado sans excellence and pursue greatness in all that you do.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk

Last edited by hanzsomehanz; 06-25-2014 at 10:30 PM.