View Single Post
Old 06-28-2014, 12:30 PM   #111
jaynral
Rookie

OVR: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantBlue76
Wow factor... What is the wow factor in a sports game? To me, the WOW factor comes into play when I see something that resembles real life so closely that you can't believe that they included it in the game. I'll give a couple of examples of things that wowed me in the past. Years ago, I was playing a football game online against a friend. I called a screen play and I was trying to wait to throw it. I scrambled and managed to get the screen off. My HB caught the pass and I followed my brigade of lineman to the end zone for a 60 yard TD. Or so I thought... While I was running, I saw flags hit the field (yes, flags actually hit the field). Ineligible receiver downfield! Both of us had to pause and talk about how cool that was for at least 10 minutes.

Instance number 2. Playing the same friend online, I drop back to pass and complete a 20 yard seam pass to my TE. First down - but again, flags everywhere. I had kept my halfback in to block, but what I noticed was that while my left tackle was engaged with the RDE, my HB went and took out the legs of the DE. Chop Block! My reaction? "Are you kidding me?!!! That's in the game??? That's awesome!!".

Instance 3: Playing a friend online. Pass is thrown deep down the left sideline. My corner is trailing in good position but while the ball is in the air, he pulls up grabs his hamstring, stumbles, limps and goes to the ground. TD! My corner pulled his hamstring on the play!

Now - do any of these things sound like ground breaking occurrences when it comes to the game of football? Are any of these things something that were invented by the World of Warcraft development team? They create the WOW factor because they are elements that I see happen in REAL LIFE. When I see my corner drop back into a zone, never even touch the receiver as he goes through my zone, then stand flat footed covering an empty patch of grass, the game has already lost me and my interest. When my middle linebacker drops back into the back of the end zone when the ball is inside the 10 and he lets the TE run WIDE OPEN in front of me without even an attempt at coverage in the zone the game has already lost me. When my linebacker blitzes and instead of running through the gap he's supposed to, he takes a direct path into a blocker, the game has already lost me. All of these things are still happening in Madden in 2014, yet all 3 of the instances of the items I mentioned above are completely absent from the game. Couple that with the fact that Tiburon is telling me that this is the most authentic, smartest and best playing Madden ever, how can anyone take this game seriously?

Sent from my KFAPWI using Tapatalk
Wow, just reading this gave me goose bumps!!!.......I remember a football game years ago that me and my friends were playing also that we couldnt even finish a game because we kept stopping to instant replay or just being wowed by what has happen....Damn, I miss those days. Okay, now to stop daydreaming and back to reality....the problem is that as someone mentioned before is that next gen football will NEVER be different until that stop making for ps3 and xbox360... That is where the most profit is made....Why spend extra money to reinvent a whole game where profit margins is the most important thing...one thing that will tell it all is when the game comes out, look at the box and see how much HDD memory was used...For example, 2k14 was at 50gb which I think was the max, the show was at 47gb and madden 25 was at 16gb if i remember. That tells you that the game was not made for next gen
Advertisements - Register to remove