View Single Post
Old 07-02-2014, 09:41 AM   #69
hanzsomehanz
MVP

hanzsomehanz's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: Penalty overhaul? Pass Interference Finally?

I am not buying that penalties do not exist - that is hyperbole.

Penalties do exist and I would like to see the common ones triggered more frequently and called more appropriately.

False-Starts should have a higher chance of triggering (flare spikes) under the duress of spamming audibles and hot routing as a way of simulating communication codes being lost in translation.

Holding should animate more when a lineman or runningback is legitimately outmatched and makes a holding attempt in an effort to save his QB on a critical "rush down".

Defenders should be baited into Off-sides and Encroachment due to hard fake snap counts, esp by smart QBs - bluff it too much though and it should backfire.

Pass Interference needs interfetence animations - this penalty irks me the most. It is called too arbitrarily and not respected enough for what it represents in its entirety (constitutes): http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/passinterference

Spoiler

Overall, I expect more from a computer than a human in respect to calling and respecting penalties in a black and white manner - it is a matter of Madden coding and triggering these penalty animations appropriately.

I am no believer of, "it cannot be done" nor do I believe this team is inept in the dev and programming department.

As others have alluded: penalties and a lack therof are an issue in all three EA Sports pillar titles.

This is not an issue isolated to a particular franchise, like Madden, but a systemic issue spread within the body of the EA Sports brand, like a cancer.

I do not see penalties in their entirety as being a buzzkill in videgames and I firmly support that they ultimately assist in adding immersion to the Sport they are simulating.

While I see immersion in its literal sense as an addicting factor of videogames: The other addiction factor EA Sports do cater to on a tangent is how easy and accesssible it is to spam success and go for a joyride of sorts in their football titles.

Penalties and rules give structure to the Sport and teach discipline.

We are not asking for penalties to be called more than they are in real life but to be called appropriately based on the discipline of these players.

Look out how Peyton Manning affected the cohesion of his unit in the SB with all his pre-snap adjustments - it caused an early, misfired snap. I am aware stadium noise was a factor but the pt remains that the discipline of the line is put under more duress the longer he bluffs and rebuffs.

This claim of, "penalties are no fun" is hogwash and bares no statistics behind it.

Spoiler

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk

Last edited by hanzsomehanz; 07-02-2014 at 12:28 PM.