Old 07-10-2014, 04:50 PM   #162
hanzsomehanz
MVP

hanzsomehanz's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: Madden NFL 15 Video & Blog - War In The Trenches 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenblood60
That's not necessarily true. Decreasing sales ( eventually ) means less micro transactions. Increased sales mean more money from sales and more micro transactions. Madden used to sell 8-9 million copies a year. Now they're selling 4-5 million copies a year. Two years from now, maybe they're topping out between 3-4 million. Eventually, MUT won't be able to make up for that, and since MUT brings in so much revenue, that also may light a fire under EA's butt. More sales equals more potential microtransactions.
While I support your premise: sales = consumption; more sales does not neccessarily reveal what the product is used for.

If for some reason there is some free to play mode that has no microtransaction offers on the table but creates a buzz: sales may increase out of interest for that mode: CFM or Team Play are examples while MUT revenue still remain the same or even goes down.

Sales represent initial interest and anythig thereafter is speculation on how the consumer spends their time and money on the game.

In respect to MUT, their revenue lines will eventually level, if they have not already, and may even plummet: that would be more devestating than declining sales.

FWIW, I believe MUT's inception was M12 - it is going into its 4th season and I know as a member of that community that MUT gamers are becoming more and more abhorrent towards Madden's slanted microtransaction schemes.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk