reyes the roof
Hall Of Fame

reyes the roof's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: Polygon: Madden 15 wants to teach you about football

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
I've hammered on this on here.

More than anything else, sports games' biggest failing to this point has been accessibility and teaching its users how to play. This is evident in the fact that no gaming-oriented people around me will even attempt to play Madden, NBA 2K, The Show, or even WWE with me, because I'm a veteran of sports games and a hardcore sports fan in general. I know how to play these games, while they are helplessly behind with few to no in-game mechanisms available with which to catch up.

This is a necessary step for expanding the pool of potential customers for the Madden series, particularly as the NFL's popularity continues to grow. One they probably won't see any credit for on this message board, but - assuming the mode is well-executed - one they deserve credit for nevertheless.

I downloaded demos for the EA NHL game and the NBA 2K game a few years ago because I heard they were great games, but I don't follow the sports at all. I know the general rules of the games, but there is just way too much detail in these games for me to be able to play them without them having a detailed manual that explains every feature and mode in the game