View Single Post
Old 07-14-2014, 08:56 AM   #98
wordtobigbird
MVP

wordtobigbird's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Madden NFL 15 Gauntlet Mode Teaches You How to Play Football, Get Better at Madde

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT Pittbull
Im interested to see how deep they go with this. I know the game. I've played it in real life. So its probably not going to do much for guys like me who LIVE football.

I do think its a good idea as long as they stay true to making Madden a complete simulation in the future. Ive said before they(EA/Madden) have their foot in BOTH buckets right now. The have a few simulation aspects but they still have more weight in the arcade bucket. It has made some nice strides in the last few years, its just at a snails pace.

They need to get the game to the point where the gamer is FORCED to play football, not play "Madden" football. I would say this mode would help those who lack basic football knowledge and maybe if more people actually knew how to play football, they're would be less players learning to cheese/glitch/ and exploit the AI.
I agree.

Here's the thing though: Madden's controls are too basic. The gameplay is too easy in general. Look at running the ball. Well theres sprint, spin, juke, truck, backstep? Even though they try to advertise chaining moves together how often does that happen. Very basic. The running itself, even with true step, does it ever punish you for over sprinting or not understanding your momentum? For having the ball in the wrong hand? For spinning/juking in traffic? Very easy.

The easiest comparison is always with FIFA. For example, in FIFA there is a drill where you just have to weave through poles with gatorade bottles on top without knocking them down. Why? Because the controls are complex and the gameplay is challenging. If you move too aggressively the ball won't stay close to you and you wont be able to make turns with possession. The have varying paces, not just from sprinting like Madden. Imagine if Madden had a cone drill because you had to adjust to how you had to turn with different size/skilled players? FIFA has the skill moves to differentiate how players handle the ball too.

There are so many passing drills in FIFA. Why? Because passing controls are complex and the execution in gameplay is challenging. In Madden we have lob and bullet, throw in total control to let you pick high/low/left/right and that's it. FIFA? Standard, cross, lead pass. Hold L1/LB and get different type of pass. Crosses can be double tapped or triple tapped for different types of crosses. The options are beautiful. When do you think we will ever be able to throw a back shoulder pass in Madden? Imagine if you could double tap or triple tap the receiver icon to get a different type of pass?

Last edited by wordtobigbird; 07-14-2014 at 09:04 AM.