View Single Post
Old 07-14-2014, 08:58 PM   #11
TTD71
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Jump Balls in M15

Its been said a lot already, but if you do not have independent outcomes based on SITUATIONS and PHYSICS, then you have Madden - all abased on ANIMATIONS and only very loosely associated with RATINGS to trigger those animations.

To be honest, I'd be OK with Madden staying with their tired old animations approach if they just spent more time implementing a more robust outcome analysis calculation into the process. Right now, there is not enough weight given to the outcomes on the disparity of the key players - like a CB vs. a superior WR (or taller, better jumping, faster, etc...). If the outcomes had more to do with things like physical attributes, physical abilities etc., then the glaring omission of a real physics engine could be more easily overlooked...as it is now though, there is no realism in the outcomes and it makes the lacking aspects of the game stand out all the more...

The other problem with this in H2H games is that as soon as something "works" in Madden, it "works" all the time - without regard to ANY other factors at all. As soon as you bring back strafe catching, you bring back the asshat who feels perfectly justified in running it 22 times in a row as a base offense. There will always be the other people shrieking that its up to the defender to stop it...blah, blah, blah....but it ruins the gameplay experience in about 2-3 plays.

I experienced the same thing in other online games though - its NOT just Madden online, its ALL games online...hell, even a game like NBA 2K14, which is widely praised for its gameplay and realism (at times) has the same kind of asshat players. You recognize them instantly - the guy who uses KD to dunk from a specific spot on the court, or a similar tactic with 3-pt shoots from a specific spot EVERY TIME...or the guys who use specific ways to manipulate goalies in NHL or FIFA games...

My solution is the same one I have been on about for years - MAKE DIFFERENT GAME SETTINGS MATTER and INTRODUCE "SIM" Servers and "Freestyle" Servers. If the game fundamentally PLAYS differently by turning on or off simulation settings, let the users decide which way they want to play and get out of the way. Trying to please everyone in a one-size fits all manner is what EA has been most guilty of for the last decade and its impossible!
Advertisements - Register to remove