View Single Post
Old 07-19-2014, 12:35 PM   #6
DCEBB2001
MVP

DCEBB2001's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Madden NFL 15 Ratings Release Monday, Watch Rookies React After Hearing Their Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
Well I consider it a good sign at least that no rookie in that clip seemed to agree with their ratings. That said, I hope on Monday Donny Moore unveils some kind of new ratings system scale. It's frustrating to see ratings continue down the same ole Madden path, while other aspects of the game seem to be going for more authenticity and listening to what hardcore gamers have been saying for years.

From what I understand, marketing likely has the most influence over ratings, so if that can't be overcome for whatever reason, I would like to see editable draft classes added, since we have the ability to roster share.

@DECEBB, if they ever do add editable draft classes, would you consider doing projected ratings for existing real life collegiate players or would that be too much? Meaning outside of the incoming rookies, there are at least 4-5 years worth of real collegiate players on rosters that will make up future real life NFL drafts, would be interesting to see FBG or something similar, take on using those real player's existing data and potential, to project at least 4-5 years of NFL draft classes. I guess technically with all the data out there even for High School prospects, the projection model could even go as far as 8 years, lol.

I know that's a little pie in the sky like but it would be an interesting project, imo.

The biggest problem, to me, isn't the lack of editable draft classes. The biggest issues is that so much of the game is coded according to these crappy ratings. In all honesty, if we were rating players outside of the crappy Madden box we are trapped inside and forced to use, there should only be 8 players in the entire world rated over 90 OVR. I wonder what would happen in the game if your average NFL player no longer had a STR rating of 71 but 44, like the data suggests by using a TRUE linear model. At present, Madden skews everything. The average Madden player has a STR of 71, but when you average out a player's 3 core 1-rep-max efforts (Bench Press, Squat, and Clean), you find that the average NFL player should only have a STR of 44, with 99 being ranked the best and 1 being ranked the worst (can we really quantify absolute peril (0) or perfection (100)?) With the research I have done on NFL2K's ratings, they obviously used real data because many OL were rated in the 60s and 70s for STR, with very few players up over 90. However, would the game behave with ratings where each interval between points is equal behave differently? If there were only 20 players rated over 80, would it break?

That being posited, IF we were able to edit draft classes, I would have no problem producing the NCAA player data that I have on the website. I have data on some 70,000 players in the pros, on the street, in college, and even in high school, so the data is there. The automation is there as well. It isn't hard, just a little time consuming. I can post the ratings on the website, but I cannot edit the draft classes. The community would have to do that.

I go back to the big question, however. Would it work in Madden? Would editable draft classes fix your franchise mode? Would contracts work correctly if your best, pro-bowl caliber, QB is now a 72 OVR? Last year, I did the "right" thing and published equal-interval ratings on the website. Many gamers were FURIOUS! They did not like how they couldn't use them in their franchise (even though I argued that ANY realistic ratings system is useless in Madden).

One person on OS, however, actually recorded some vids of the gameplay using the equal-interval methodology: Playmakers.

Look at his post from March in the FBG thread:

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...post2046069885

That video gives this system, with equal-interval ratings, such HUGE promise. Players were behaving more like their NFL counterparts than ever before. BUT, once again, the ratings were useless in Madden 25 outside of the Play Now mode. So, I had the choice of continuing with the equal-interval ratings, switching up to rating players exactly how EA does so draft classes work, or altering the ratings so that the average physical attribute is set to 70 (true mean). Rating players how EA does just makes me feel dirty...can't do it. True mean I can deal with, but I know deep down that the equal interval is the BEST, MOST ACCURATE, way to rate players. Despite this fact, many people did not like their favorite player, perhaps a popular player (pro bowlers are the result of popularity, not skill, FYI) being rated in the 60s or 70s.

Either way, I can't win because Madden limits what we can do. IF the following were met for Madden 15, I would go back to equal-interval and rate players as realistically as possible:

1. Madden must allow us to edit draft classes in franchise mode.

2. The game must not break when using lower rated players in regards to trades, contracts, etc in franchise mode.

If these two criteria are met, then I would gladly publish draft classes for the community to accurately create and distribute for personal use. Until we know the answers to these questions however, my efforts may be useful in other endeavors.
NFL Scout
www.nfldraftscout.com/members

Petition to EA for FBG Ratings:
https://www.change.org/p/ea-sports-t...bers-index-php