View Single Post
Old 07-19-2014, 10:09 PM   #1
DCEBB2001
MVP

DCEBB2001's Arena

OVR: 7
Let's talk about player movement!

I want to go over something I noticed after witnessing the gameplay vids from the podcast yesterday with Rex and company.

Players are still accelerating WAY TOO QUICKLY. I timed several of those plays by counting the frames to when a play starts to when a WR on the LOS runs 10 yards downfield and several of them came in at under 1.10 seconds.

That is very unrealistic. The record time from a sprinter's stance by any NFL player at a combine or pro day for their 10 yard split is 1.40 seconds (Chris Johnson, et al.) That means that the players are accelerating a full three tenths faster from a standing position than the quickest players have tested from a sprinter's stance.

I want you all to see how much slower a player is from starting in a two point stance. Chad Johnson did this for Sports Science. They were testing to see how quickly he could "stop on a dime". It starts around the 5:30 mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dN3nSuvUM0Q

They had him run a 10 yard sprint and timed it at 1.80 seconds. At the combine in 2001, his best split time from a starter's stance was 1.57 seconds. Keep in mind that he is NOT wearing pads in the video above, but is in shorts and a t-shirt. The video was uploaded in 2007, so we can assume he was tested no later than 2007, meaning he should not have slowed that much in that time-span from when he was a rookie. This means that he is .23 seconds slower because of the change in his stance and the situation (possibly). This is a 14.6% decrease. If the same rate is applied to the fastest 10 yard split from a starter's stance, that means that the fastest players should get to 10 yards in only 1.605 seconds.

Given this data, feel free to discuss.
NFL Scout
www.nfldraftscout.com/members

Petition to EA for FBG Ratings:
https://www.change.org/p/ea-sports-t...bers-index-php
Advertisements - Register to remove