View Single Post
Old 07-22-2014, 11:18 AM   #126
Robrain
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Madden NFL 15: Top Rookies

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
If their strength is the same, why wouldn't it mean the same thing? What would be the point of having the STR rating at all?

What you describe is also already captured by ratings, with the blocker's STR + RBS + RBF + IBL ratings against the defender's STR + BSH ratings. From Clint Oldenburg's blogs last year we know that STR affects the engagement duration of a block, RBS affects the blocker's ability to "lock up" a defender, RBF affects the blocker's ability to move a defender, and IBL affects the ability of the blocker to "pancake" a defender. These are checked against the defender's STR and BSH ratings to determine the success / fail of a block, the engagement time, and whether the defender gets flattened.

It would strike me that making weight an influencing factor in the ratings could potentially cause a whole lot of unnecessary confusion, and further the "ratings don't matter" conversation. If weight should be a factor, how much of a factor is it? How much does weight override ratings?
How much of a factor? Enough of a factor where the obvious scenarios simply don't play out. A small guy should not be able to run over a significantly larger guy. It should pass the eye test, it doesn't have to be overly complicated.

If I ran into Dontari Poe full speed in real life, I'd expect that 99.99% of the time, I'd fall flat on my back afterwards. Unless he was sleepwalking. Then I might have a 0.01% chance.

Because, you know, physics and other magical stuff.