View Single Post
Old 07-22-2014, 01:49 PM   #155
Robrain
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Madden NFL 15: Top Rookies

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
No, it's not, you are correct. However, that doesn't mean we can't think critically about a problem and attempt to solve it on our own, rather than dismissing the question.

It's my strong opinion that if one's going to discuss why a video game is doing something wrong, one must have an alternate design in mind and be able to discuss it with some level of detail. Hand-waving at the problem and saying "this is bad, devs go fix it" isn't all that constructive, IMO. And no, Madden isn't absolved from this sort of discussion on account of drawing its game mechanics from reality.
I disagree. There are certain cases where it makes sense for a developer to go to it's users/community, and ask them questions on how to improve the game. Solicit advice, creative ideas, etc. These can range from simple things such as suggestions to new expansion team names, to more detailed things like game balance issues.

However, there are things (typically large-scale) that are solely in the developer's court, and implementing a realistic physics system is one of them. That's not even remotely the type of problem where the solution is asking your community how to do it.

If you have as much money as EA does, you attack the problem by hiring smart programmers to do it. That's it. That's the only real solution.

FPS games have bullets whizzing and grenades flying and 64 player simultaneous online matches with vehicles and airplanes and all kinds of hell breaking loose. It's inexcusable if the Madden devs can't find a way to pull off 11-on-11 at this point with realistic enough physics that the defensive back doesn't FATALITY me by jamming his hand through my receiver's back to swat away the ball that is being perfectly caught.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6XKxlRcgqM

Or fumble physics, or passing physics, or proper collision physics. None of these are things that the community should have much input regarding beforehand, besides "Yeah, we want that". Then they should implement it, come back to the community and show us what they made, and then solicit feedback on whether it's good enough / how to improve upon it from there.

Last edited by Robrain; 07-22-2014 at 01:52 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove