View Single Post
Old 07-31-2014, 09:04 AM   #30
LBzrule
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40
Re: When will madden ever introduce gap assignments in the game?

Good stuff Senator and ForUnto, I went to sleep. And like PSU said it would be great for them to get 1 gap vs 2 gap in the game. For instance, the Titans this year will be running a 1 gap 3-4. Vanderbilt is also running that. I'm going to see the Titans tomorrow and Vanderbilt whenever they open practice.

Wolverine there is a lot here that should answer your question. The key first is the coverage call. That's why I would recommend when people play this game they understand coverage call vs outside run might be the reason why they are getting gashed. Now I've also always been on here saying that the force player needs to actually force. For instance, the Safety in cover 3 playing the flat zone, IMO does not do a good job of playing force. Sits around too much and waits for blockers. He's not the PA Boot player so he should be charging downhill against the run if it is to his side. If it is PA well he's not the PA Boot player the CB is. But against PA, that's when he's gotta flip the hips quickly and get back.

Let me add some more. I think most of the complaints about the outside run in this game are because a lot of people want to play 2 Man Under as a base coverage against Pro, Jumbo and 2 TE sets. Well you are going to get burned if that's the case. That's why I was pretty disappointed when EA weakened zone coverage. It opened up the run game way too much. I used zone for the most part anyway though. Only went with man when I felt like the offense had to pass. The other part of getting burned is those assignments need to really be felt in the game.

Anyways, I'll end by saying this. If anyone wants to improve their Madden run defense, learn and understand zone coverage and who's supposed to be doing what. An Ebook is not going to help you. They will give you a couple of plays as "run stoppers." But these are only band-aids because once someone cracks that play you have nothing to fall back on. Build your foundation by learning zone coverage and understanding the field positioning. Also, do not be afraid to get Safeties involved.

Last edited by LBzrule; 07-31-2014 at 09:20 AM.