View Single Post
Old 07-31-2014, 12:12 PM   #33
LBzrule
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40
Re: When will madden ever introduce gap assignments in the game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUEagle

Not to turn this into an argument thread, but are you sure those two teams are going to 1 Gap?

Vandy's new HC coach was Stanford's DC over the last few years, so I would think that he'll want to continue with that given the offenses in his conference and the personal success he had with it.

Ray Horton's been a 2 Gap guy his whole career as a DC. I haven't watched a ton of Browns and Cardinals film over the last few years, but it's definitely noticeable when I watch casually.

Great point about 2 Man under, BTW. I get a chuckle when I play the CPU (or users) and they come out in 2 Man against I Twins. Of course I'm going to get the edge every single time: in real life the primary force is the safety and he's too far away to make that play. It's why you only see that coverage on obvious passing downs. Cover 1 is a different animal as a run stopper, though: you can match up gap wise because you're inserting an extra guy into the front.

Actually, this discussion and the great posts both of you guys have made leads me to another point: there's a lot more nuance that goes into defense than just being "1 Gap vs 2 Gap" or "4-3 vs 3-4." You see defenses today do a lot of hybrid stuff on run downs so that they can get the best of both worlds: have guys on the field who can hold the point while also having guys who can penetrate and disrupt the pass.
Per Vandy and the Titans. Watching the press conference with the players this is how they described it. Also in the spring game getting a look at the defense I saw more 1 gap than anything else, although that doesn't mean guys were playing their assignments correctly and I was not privy to blimp film.

Local paper here, which could be completely wrong btw (could be bad journalism), has said the Titans and Vandy will run the same 3-4 1 gap defense. I'll check out Titans tomorrow morning.