Big FN Deal
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33
Re: Madden NFL 15 Developer Livestream - Presentation and Graphics

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdavis82
So Phil Frazier and Brian Murray are the same now? Lol

Murray actually has the credentials to pull it off. Brian was the senior cinematographer of NFL films, he knows the nfl in a way that Phil never did. To compare the two is an insult to Brian. Brian wants to deliver an experience that is like a perfect mix of broadcast and being at the game in person. He talks about shooting the game in the same way he would and at the same time, having the cameras follow the action in a way that resonates with what people see on Sundays. One example he gave was the camera used to follow the ball from the beginning of the play vs now, they pick the camera angle based on where the ball ends. He said the old way didn't make sense and was nothing like what you see on TV. This is a quote from one interview with Brian.

Murray: You have to respect the fans and [most] of them, see it from a couch or a chair on a Sunday. You have to respect the broadcast. If you put the disk in and someone saw just an NFL films version of it, it would resonate, but they would miss something. So we had to do a hybrid. We did camera angles and editing and pacing from a cinematic style that I directed, but you also have to respect the broadcasts.
As far as audio goes, it's twofold. You're in the world like you're at the game. You want to hear if I'm Steeler's and its third quarter, I want to hear "Oh Mama" from Styx. I need to hear that to feel like I'm actually at the game. Or you're the Patriots and you just scored a touchdown, you want those muskets going off as you kick.
The confusion is that there is another wall there. You're also kind of watching the broadcast. We had to balance what is actually happening in the world, what you would hear if you were there, and what you would hear in the broadcast: the sweeping music, commentary, halftime shows. It's a balance and obviously audio is huge for us. We have an original composer this year, Mark Petrie, and he's absolutely amazing. Me and my group would give him a template of what we're looking for, anything. 'Well I want daft punk with m83 meets dark knight' and you cram them together and you work it out. That's the way were telling the audio stories.

I'm not saying he will pull it off but he has the knowledge and connections with the NFL to make it happen.

Not going to spend too much time on this because it's pointless, just bold how Murray's own words highlight the continued legacy issue with presentation, with all the talk of hybrid and mix instead if just emulating what's already been done well before. For forever we have had different volume sliders for gamers to choose the audio experience, whether they want to amp up on field sounds to feel more in-game, amp up broadcast elements to feel more like watching tv or find their own mixture. What Murray is describing here is just another repackaging of "beyond broadcast" which was admittedly by Tiburon not something people wanted but here we are again having it offered by someone with "better credentials"

It's the same song and dance, "this is a video game so there's so much more we can do that they can't do in a NFL broadcast", while completely overlooking by doing "more" you continually remind the gamer they are playing a video game, diminishing immersion. smh