View Single Post
Old 08-02-2014, 07:59 PM   #40
LBzrule
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40
Re: When will madden ever introduce gap assignments in the game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverines05
now if a defensive lineman is 2 gapping, what are his reads that tell him to go to gap left or right?

His reads are post snap reads. He's gotta read the linemen. Who's trying to do what to him? Who's trying to get to the second level? That's going to play into how he's going to use his body. I watched the Titans do this drill at camp yesterday. I heard the DL coach a lot. "Stop getting your a$$ reached" "Don't let him reach block you" "You can't get reached" So it really depends on what the linemen are trying to do. Is someone trying to block down on the 3 technique and allow the other lineman to pull? Does the closest lineman try to reach the 3's outside shoulder? All of that comes into play. That's why I tell anyone, stop thinking QB is the only position that requires intelligence.

and do the linebackers then have to compensate for the gap that the lineman leaves exposed?

also random... but if a dude is playing zone, and during the pass play, no one is in his zone, where should he go? i know people have complained of defenders in zone often just standing doing nothing, but if no one is in his zone, what is his responsibility?

may as well ask while im here
For this last part, the biggest issue from today vs when some of us played is that teams don't spot drop anymore. They work with match up zone. And because of that then there's most likely not going to be just dropping to a spot and standing around. Your coverage is going to read the offense now and it might actually depending on what the coach wants to do, it might emphasize one player and work around that player. Let me give you an example.

Take this shot from Ole Miss @ Vandy

Rebels are in 2 x 2 personnel set. Defensively what some teams will do out of the gate is declare a READ side to this 2 x 2 set. They will generally have their FS line up on the READ side and then run certain concepts. This is where the Safety and his communication with the other defenders are important. They could go Robber, Quarters, "READ" so on and so forth, whatever their terminology is and base it all on the #2 WR (Slot) to the Read side. For instance the FS might play "Robber" in the sense of playing outside of #2 so that #1 it puts him in great position against outside runs, quick passes to the flats, screens to the HB, Bubble screens so on and so forth. There is a lot to it and this is just not enough space. Also it's pretty hard to describe without talking about what the offense is doing. I just know this, it is no longer dropping to a spot and standing there. It's dividing the offensive formation up, Declaring what side is what, numbering the WR's on each side, and whoever is the key then the zone works off that player.

In other words, it's a lot. That's why most of the time in HS all guys are taught is spot drops because coaches don't want to get too sophisticated with HS students trying to learn all of that. But once they get to college, they have no choice but to learn it.

In the shot above you can tell Vandy has declared the bottom of the screen as the Read side (might not have been Shoops terminology but same idea). Notice where the HIGH safety is lined up and the SHALLOW safety is lined up. If Ole Miss throws a bubble screen/Flanker Screen, which they did quite a bit that night, you got that Safety there to come in and support really fast and he's also there for the quick dip to the HB so on and so forth. One the other side you have a triangle between the High Safety, Outside CB and the linebacker.

Without the tape we don't know who they are keying on. Is it #2 (slot) or is it #1 (flanker)?

Last edited by LBzrule; 08-02-2014 at 08:05 PM.