View Single Post
Old 08-03-2014, 08:29 PM   #11
Wolverines05
Rookie

Wolverines05's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Madden NFL 15 Training: Changes in the Wide-Nine Technique (Video)

[quote=BreakingBad2013;2046443880]Well I have a small problem, or a few with the analysis. As an Eagles fan I saw just how one sided the wide 9 is. It is a Sack driven defensive line up, that has severe repercussions.

The wide nine may absolutely be the worst defense you could possibly use against the run. I've watched it over and over as an eagles fan a while back. Teams caught onto this weakness and that's why the dream team became a nightmare. This wide 9 is completely neutered by running draw plays and attacking the middle of the defense. You must have spectacular and sure tackling LBs to make this defense even serviceable.

The wide 9 was picked apart and there are so many ways to defile it. For example, in shotgun you need a RB and TE. These will both offer chip blocks to slow the pass rush,neutralizing the fear of getting sacked, the DE is no longer gaining the outside shoulder, he's just staring into a double team, with absolutely no other options.

My second problem is that the comparison of the wide 9 to the Nickel 3-3-5 is nothing short of baffling. A nickel 3-3-5 with rushing LBs is closer to a 5-2 or 5-1-5 than the wide 9. The wide 9 is a 4-3 based system, exclusively. The edge contain in the video, is realistic in a situation where there LB or DEs job is setting the edge, In the wide 9 the DEs job is to gain a clear path to the QB, not set the edge. Hence Washburn's firing. These two schemes have no similarities. The 3-3-5 will give you the 3-4 system that looks to draw double teams on your down linemen(hence the larger or anchorous players in the 3-4 DL) and allows your LBs to have 1on Zero matchup (or 1 on running back) to split into the backfield. The wide 9 however, does the exact opposite. The only matchup it gains, is the one on the edges, the players furthest outside of the middle, are taken advantage of, and puts the rest of the D at a disadvantage.

The wide 9 puts all pressure on your linebackers and safeties to overcompensate, the uselessness of the defensive ends. It makes the LBs play In space against Tight Ends and RBs near the line of scrimmage, advantage offense. You can almost literally play an 11 v 9 game with the ousting of the DE. Which is why the eagles had one of the worst defenses in the NFL in 2012, and why the dream team went crashing.

I agree with everything you said.. so maybe i didnt articulate as well as I should have.. i didnt mean to say that the wide 9 was good against the run.. (although some coaches argue that this is B.S.) i was trying to show that wide 9 in madden is good against the run now, (although it shoudnt be) as the backer sets the edge. but i also thought i mentioned that this is not a real wide 9 defense and that its not authentically portrayed. at all. and i thought i mentioned how the ends should pin ears back and rush qb/not set edge. obviously not well enough though hah. and i meant that in general, tackles and backers must make up for extra space given because wide 9 always used out of like 4-3. yet, in this example, (its odd that wide 9 run in 335) the backer acts as the end. so i was just talking bout how generally linebackers (in a 4-3) must make up for ground given up by ends..

Last edited by Wolverines05; 08-03-2014 at 08:38 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove