View Single Post
Old 08-04-2014, 09:52 AM   #29
sroz39
The Man!

sroz39's Arena

OVR: 14
As well-written and in depth this article is, it's very one sided. It almost makes you feel guilty and like scum if you enjoy these modes. Do I? I did, with the early versions of HUT that had a salary cap. The latest versions in all of EA games has devolved into the worst kind of pay-to-win model and it's unfortunate because the appeal of the mode is undeniable.

It's a lot of fun to try and build YOUR team and take it online. Especially taking players with high potential and using your best training cards on them. The article compares an offline Franchise Mode as an UT counterpart but I feel they are so different it's not even fair to compare. One mode occurs entirely in a vacuum and the other is almost what makes online play so enticing to begin with: human competition. Except now it goes beyond who's just the better player...it's also about who can build the better team. Again, this was a lot more fun back in the early days of UT.

I feel maybe instead of denouncing the enjoyment of these modes and attributing almost disease-like traits to people that do, the article should have presented a side of UT that would make it enjoyable for the sim crowd. Instead, it takes a get-off-my-lawn attitude, with the writer probably fully aware these modes aren't going anywhere. All it served to do was stir up the usual sentiments shared on these boards when it had the opportunity to start a great discussion about what these modes need for the sim gamer to enjoy them.