Old 08-04-2014, 11:59 AM   #65
Big FN Deal
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33
Re: VSN speaking with Josh Looman on CFM, taking questions now

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordtobigbird
So guys, what would yall deem as "most critical" to your enjoyment of CFM? I'd love to see how what we think and what they think lines up when we get this CFM info. Personally, I played a few CFMs on M25 but never did more than 2 seasons.

Why? Player progression/team building lacked depth. I wish they could just take FIFA's scouting system. Spending points to unlock individual ratings is so tedious. Progressing players is tedious and unrealistic. FIFA they progress based on their play and HOW they play. It's realistic and feels rewarding to see those +2 next to crossing because that player has set up a few nice goals over the season. You should have to practice your spin move to get better at it. Not just spend points on it.

Also, CPU AI was questionable at best leading to a lot of unrealistic rosters. Everything being based on overall just leads to a bunch of nonsense in the depth charts. To go along with that simmed CPU stats vs my stats not realistically lining up so I'd end up with an entire offensive line in the probowl or LB tackles never being up there with the CPU.

So I'm expecting to see a much improved, stream-lined progression/scouting and CPU logic at least.
I seriously doubt their vision of enjoyment lines up with most here on OS because the focus of career mode seems to be all about arcade like interaction versus authentic team/player management UI. You referred to FIFA doing progression a certain way and so do other lauded sports games like The Show and NBA2k but for some odd reason, Tiburon wants to blaze some new trail with Madden.

The crazy thing is, not too long ago this same EA Tiburon was neglecting career modes because according to them, they weren't that generally popular, mainly just for the hardcore gamer but at least then, what was there, gave some semblance of authenticity. Then suddenly they proclaim career modes to be very popular among all gamers and we get CCM, that at this point seems to be about creating yet another mode to attract non football gamers.

Just to be frank, EA Tiburon is ruining traditional football gaming, in the guise of innovation. That may seem like an extreme statement but it's not considering the things they have done. On just about every level they have doubled down on inventing some hybrid game to appeal to as many demographics as possible, even outside of traditional football gamers, while failing to provide adequate options or settings to provide a more authentic experience. They have been trying this hybrid experiment with game play since 2006, imo and even though they keep admitting it doesn't work and claiming to now be going for authenticity in game play, they're again pushing the same admittedly failed concept on other areas. Chris Sanner stated it well in a recent write up; "What we have with Madden is a game which approaches the game of football from a standpoint that’s neither sim or arcade — it’s like it’s own vision of the sport that mimics real-life football but also throws its own twists in." I disagree slightly with the part about mimics real life because the moment Tiburon starts adding their own twists in, they are ceasing to even attempt to mimic real life.

The only reason I refuse to just go away and stop even bothering with Madden is that they are ruining what was once my favorite vice, football video gaming and specifically Franchise mode, so speaking up is about all I can do. I don't think it matters though, Tiburon has and will continue to do whatever they want, in spite of what they claim but constructive venting (that's what I'm calling it) is somewhat therapeutic.
Advertisements - Register to remove