View Single Post
Old 08-04-2014, 02:34 PM   #28
GiantBlue76
Banned

OVR: 28
Re: Madden NFL 15 Training: Changes in the Wide-Nine Technique (Video)

I spent a significant amount of time researching use of the wide 9 as a run defense. I found nothing. I watched a bit of game film as well and I saw nothing that would insinuate that the wide 9 is strategic against running formations. What I DID find was plenty of documentation verifying the weaknesses of this formation against traps, draws, off tackle and power runs. I believe these weaknesses are obvious even to a football laymen. You can't really use the wide 9 against any savvy opponent either. Once they see that gap they are changing the play. Why run outside into it? The fixes to the defense need to be in assignments and pursuit (as LBz, PSUEagle and a few others have explained much better). I believe some of these fixes have been put into the game, but there are still some issues there. If we are attempting to obtain an authentic gameplay experience (which I believe Rex and his team are attempting to do), then Tiburon should not be advocating use of the wide 9 as a run defense. That being said, if you are a team who wishes to run a wide 9 scheme, that doesn't necessarily mean you should automatically be horrendous at stopping the run. Talent and player ability is a LARGE part of success in the NFL. Even with a scheme like the wide 9, it is my belief that if you DID have the proper personnel, you could still be effective defending the run.

Another thing to note, is that if you DID use a wide 9 formation in Madden, does the game account for the rushing angle of the wide DE and does he actually use that to his advantage assuming he's the proper fit for that position? I would hope it should. Simply having the formation in the game just to say it's there would be an insult to the intelligence of football gamers. If you are going to put it in the game, make sure it works like it should otherwise don't include it until it does.