View Single Post
Old 08-05-2014, 05:57 PM   #47
Primo80
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: When will madden ever introduce gap assignments in the game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverines05
so i got a question about the NT at 0 technique. What does it mean to "command a double team" exactly. Does the offensive line decide to double team the NT because he's so strong? Or is it the path of the NT that causes the double team? When they talk about guys like Mike Martin from Michigan a couple years ago, or rookie Ego Ferguson for the Bears (from LSU) they always mentioned how these guys commanded double teams. What is the nose tackles job though, and how is different than a 3 technique? I was thinking that if the NT is so strong, why not line him up 3 tech and cause havoc going 1 gap as opposed to 2.

So my main questions are:
1. what is the reason behind having to double the NT
2. Why double the NT vs. the DT
3. Are the assignments much different between 3 tech and 0 tech?
Im not an authority on this - I was a TE - but I am a pats fan...

The pats like Wilfork because he can control double team blocks and basically set the line of scrimmage. Hes an immovable object. They drafted DEasley cuz he basically did that at Florida. I watched some game film on him and he was blowing up offensive lines and "Commanding" offenses to double team him.

I remember an interview with Wilfork an the interviewer asked why their last opponent had left him unblocked as the 'read' defender. He chuckled and whatever his answer was, was to the effect that he proved it to be silly.

All I know is some guys are NTs because they can still thrive and have an impact against 2 blockers.

EDIT: This thread rules BTW.

Last edited by Primo80; 08-05-2014 at 06:01 PM.