View Single Post
Old 08-06-2014, 05:32 PM   #50
LBzrule
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40
Re: When will madden ever introduce gap assignments in the game?

Also about the gap thing. Some teams run mixed gap defense. Basically what this is is everyone in the front is responsible for 1 gap except for 1 person and that person is primarily the NT. When you hear people say hybrid defense, this IMO can be the only thing they are talking about. The Ravens actually do this. While they have 3-4 personnel their actual base defense is 4-3 Under with everyone responsible for one gap except the 1 Tech. They have struggled somewhat because they haven't found a great guy to solidify that 1 Tech spot.

Here is a diagram, credit to Ravens All-22

Ngata played at the NT position last season. He's able to play it but he's best suited for one gap 3 tech because he can more than likely win that match up. In this diagram you see Cody there. He's big, he's slow and he hasn't been that good which is one of the reasons why the run defense has struggled a bit. Brandon Williams is the starter now so I'll be interested to see how he shapes up. The person who plays this 1 tech position has to be a 2 gap player, at least for the Ravens anyway. I think Brandon Williams will be that solid presence we've been missing at the position.

Anyways, when I say hybrid this is what I would mean. Your standard 1 gap defense with one player, namely the 1 tech DT responsible for 2 gaps.