View Single Post
Old 08-20-2014, 02:44 PM   #103
Jarbeez
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: Digital or Disk?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lopey986
That's insane. They average 1.2 billion dollars a year in revenue through the used games market and 60% of their clientele don't even trade games in.

I'd be really curious to see how gamestop is coming to those conclusions though. I'm sure some of that 60% know they can trade games (considering any time I go to gamestop they go on and on about all their trade in deals) and just choose not to.

Like most have said here though, having a physical good that I can resell anytime I want outweighs the convenience of digital for me. Factor in that the game company is making even more money when someone buys digital yet aren't offering any incentive for us to do so (outside of convenience) and it'll be a long time before I go full digital.
I look at that article as more of an advertisement in disguise. I believe in there the guy states that the information is based on how many people take advantage of their trade in opportunity. So to me it is less about people not understanding you can do it, and more about they have dropped their trade in values so far people are going elsewhere to trade their games in. If they want to reinvigorate that business they have to go back to the way it was 10 years ago or so and make it worth someone's while to trade a game in.

For instance, last week I gave them a chance to match Best Buy's trade in. Gamestop offered me $7, and I got $35 from Best Buy. So it is more about their lack of keeping pace with the competition than their customer's ignorance.

Last edited by Jarbeez; 08-20-2014 at 03:27 PM.