Old 08-20-2014, 07:48 PM   #29
Iceman87GT
MVP

Iceman87GT's Arena

OVR: 15
Re: Layoffs Hit EA Tiburon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
Unfortunately this is pretty typical of the AAA video game industry. Release product, lay off staff.

I'm halfway surprised that EA Sports still staffs an NCAA Football team right now to begin with.

The article states that about 4% of the Madden NFL staff was let go. For whatever that number is worth. I would fathom to guess that that number is not large enough to have any significant impact on the direction of the series.
According to that same article NCAA 14 released in September 2013 (that's the same month when the series was permanently shelved and they consolidated staffs). There is no College Football development team, the writer of that article didn't do their research.

I only trust the 4% number because it was an update (presumably posted by an editor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizz420
At least the stock is up for EA #ugh

https://www.google.com/search?client...w=1349&bih=774
This is a standard process in AAA games, its not because they are hurting for money, its because they are finished with the development cycle. Heck it wouldn't surprise me if the reported 4% came from the PS3/360 staff and if most of them were those who were moved from the NCAA team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Quiet_Pro
It would have to be. The license is between EA (Madden) and the NFL. If one of those parties breaks away from the contract (in this case EA would have to IF Madden's cancelled), the license would be free to anyone. BUT..... WHY would we want another license though? Don't we WANT competition?
It's worth noting that EA was approached with the opportunity of an exclusive license, and they would have been fools not to take it. Its hard to imagine the NFL not offering 2K an exclusive license in a hypothetical world where EA cancels Madden. Competition would be better, but in this hypothetical situation competition would be impossible.
NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins
RIP Atlanta Thrashers