View Single Post
Old 08-21-2014, 10:58 AM   #66
Cutwolf
Banned

OVR: 6
Re: Interesting article regarding Madden ratings

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Quiet_Pro
I think layoffs are a good indicator this could take place. lol. I dont know man. It needs to be done, but I doubt anytime soon.
It'll never happen. Why would it?

There's not enough outcry from people about the ratings, why spend more money making them better?

What people don't understand is that EA is not this small independent studio or small team or private company trying to create top games because it takes pride in doing so. EA, and particularly EA Sports division, is a giant public company whose goal is profits.

No decision at EA is made without asking:

1. What will it cost?
2. How much will it make?

This is why we keep getting the same Madden with half-assed iterations that probably took a few hours to do. It's just enough to keep us buying again, but not enough to really cost anything. So they maximize their profits/make their shareholders happy.

This is also why the NFL exclusivity deal is bad. If there was a competitor, football fans who just want to play a football game could vote with their wallets and go elsewhere, which would HURT EA's profits/anger their shareholders, which would force them to spend money time and effort to innovate, since the cost of doing that would be less than the cost of NOT doing that.