View Single Post
Old 08-28-2014, 01:42 PM   #15
tharding16
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: CFM Draft classes impressions

I had really good luck in my first draft. Playing with the Cardinals, I needed OLB help after John Abraham retired and Acho went away in free agency. Boy did I get it. Drafted an outside linebacker who is a plug and play guy(currently 79 OVR) with Superstar development in the first round. His Physical was 95. Really the only thing bring him down was his awareness; which was like 40 something. Considering this is the cheapest thing to upgrade, I'm ok with that.

Second round I picked up an 80 overall tight end. Pretty well rounded. Big dude. Normal Dev.

Third I grabbed a 76 overall receiver. He is a big dude with pretty good hands, decent but not great speed. I like the matchups he will have in the slot. He will start this year.

4th I got lucky. I wanted a big back that I could pound the rock with on short yardage and run between the tackles. He was a 72 overall but had quick dev. and good trucking.

After that I don't really think there was anything in the draft really. Butttt... man oh man were the UDFAs good. Generally speaking they didn't show in the overall category all that much. But so many good raw prospects.

Picked up a back up LE, DT (which will move to right end), LOLB, CB, SS, LT.

Very good chance if I develop these players at least 3 of them will go over 90. 3 are already in the 70s and most of them are only lower because of their AWR rating. My plan for them is to develop guys that I need sooner quicker -- but maybe not as beneficial in the long run. If I give most of these guys even an average AWR rating they become very good players. But if in their first year I can focus on some of the other intangibles (Pass Rush, Cover skills) then come back to AWR the following year when other intangibles get more expensive. 2 years I will have at least 3 or 4 of these UDFAs starting for my team.

I guess the main take away is to check the Free agent pool very first thing in the preseason. I have never seen UDFAs like this in a draft. Maybe this was a one of thing but I doubt it.

Go to the position you want (only a certain amount will show up if you are under ALL positions), sort by their age. Look for physical specimens. You will get some studs for very low contracts. As long as that AWR lever stays really low you will likely be able to sign them to very cheap contracts too.
Advertisements - Register to remove