View Single Post
Old 09-01-2014, 09:00 PM   #88
jwilphl
Legal Advisor

jwilphl's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: Madden NFL 15: Why The Presentation Hasn't Quite Arrived into Primetime

I haven't played M15 so I can't comment specifically on its presentation, but I always thought that just as real video footage should be used for intros, stadium flyovers, cut-scenes showing outside the stadium, commercial break B-reel, perhaps even the commentary team ala NHL '15, real audio should be used to supplement what they record in-house. Pull lines from real broadcasts. These are tremendous time-savers as you don't have to render all that extra video, only edit it in, and it would be the same for the audio.

Two separate commentary teams should be the standard at this point. However, as others have said, the underlying code dealing with the commentary probably isn't up to snuff to make multiple teams worth it. Once they fix the code, get a Monday Night Football broadcast with Tirico and Gruden, a CBS broadcast, and add one more graphical variant, either FOX or NFL network. I know they don't have the FOX license, but I imagine they have the latter, so no extra money spent.

It would be great if they just went all out and got three commentary teams minimum. I know it is possible; FIFA has two English commentary teams plus those for other languages. It really comes down to a matter of resources (time, money). Unfortunately, I don't expect to see this anytime soon. EA has never really gone all-out on presentation. They probably don't see spending a ton of time on it worth the return. That and there isn't much incentive to make such improvements with no competition.