View Single Post
Old 09-09-2014, 01:52 PM   #33
SVCbearcat10
Rookie

SVCbearcat10's Arena

OVR: 0
Some of the initial reviews turned this from a no buy to a buy from me. I don't care to edit players, nor to I play online outside of the occassion game to mix it up. If you enjoy playing a hockey video because you like the sport, rather than spending your time in the menus, then it is a buy.

Unlike MLB the Show, what I don't like with EA games is the inability to delegate certain tasks automatically (like scouting). I'm one of those who usually lets the CPU do most of the stuff, outside of major trades or signing top 2 line players. All I care about is how it plays hockey and it does a great job at that.

Side note, poor positioning, unlucky puck bounces, bad goalie positioning happens all the time in the NHL. We expect everyone in a video game to play perfect when it doesn't happen in real life. Goalies give up awful, soft goals almost every game. Sometimes the shooter just beats him even though he's in position. Defenders get caught flat footed, out of position multiple times a game. The game does a good job simulating those aspects. You remember the 2 or 3 bad plays that give up goals and think the AI is awful but forget the other 90% of the game where they were doing their job... just like in real life.

In the end, if you care about gamplay, then it's a buy. If you like more of the team management aspects rather than playing the game, then I'd pass. It's that simple.