The GIGGAS's Arena

OVR: 55
Re: Jacksonville Jaguars

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonkeyJote
The offensive line is awful.
http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2014/9/...blocking-grade

Quote:
The pass blocking, however, wasn't nearly as bad with the team ranked 18th through Week 1. Linder may have been the team's worst run blocker, but Pro Football Focus gave him a 1.9 rating as a pass blocker -- the team's highest rating. Beadles and Bradfield also graded out positively with a 0.5 and 0.4 ratings, respectively.

And it showed on the stat sheet. Henne was only sacked three times and had plenty of time to throw on most throws, including risky plays like a 48-yard pass to Allen Hurns out of his own end zone, or important moments like a 4th-and-short miss to Lewis.
So, average pass blocking line, based on Pro Football Focus.

Quote:
The running game looked terrible.
I'll give you that, the line graded out terribly. That being said, I saw some pictures of runs and there were 8-9 Eagles in the box against the run plays. Debatable if there are 8-9 if Bortles is back there, given he's already been audibling in preseason away from runs.

Quote:
Aside from Shorts, the receivers are ridiculously young.
Agreed, but it didn't seem to stop Hurns from playing his tail off, having one of the best Jaguar WR performances in recent memory. In my opinion, having a young receiver core is actually great for Bortles. He can create chemistry and they can mold themselves into the receiver that Bortles wants... not Henne.

Quote:
The defense fell apart.
Again, we're looking at causes. Cyprien and Evans getting injured were the killers, but every defense is going to fall apart running a third safety out there (and there's no worse third safety than Chris "The Human Hurdle" Prosinski). Also in the second half, there was no offensive cohesion, with quick drives allowing the Eagles to wear the Jags out defensively.

http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2014/9/...-henne-results

Quote:
The big issue however, was the fact that in the second half Henne completed just 12-of-26 passes for 99 yards, much of that on the final meaningless drive of the game when the final was inevitable.

The game on Sunday was Chad Henne, in a nutshell. Once the scripted plays were finished, so was Chad Henne. When he wasn't handed a short field to work with, he struggled to move the ball. The Jaguars had just two drives in the game that were over 50 yards, one of those ended up in three points and the other ended up in a blocked field goal. They converted just two of their 14 third downs.
Quote:
If they put Bortles in now, it's going to be all on him.
I don't even get the issue with this. Isn't it all on Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, and the other elite QBs? It's going to be all on Bortles from day one, regardless of it being Sunday, week 11, or next year. That's how the league works now.

Quote:
And for a guy that has come along very well with his mechanics since leaving school to be put in that situation, I think it could undo a lot of those improvements and create bad habits.
I would believe this more if he's been having issues with mechanics in preseason, but I didn't hear a peep about them, and there were some times in which it would have been easy to see the defense closing in and being sloppy.

Quote:
I don't necessarily think that Blake needs to sit the whole season, but I believe that the majority of Bortles's improvement this year should and will happen on the practice field, and if he's thrust into starting too soon on a bad offensive team, that won't happen.
I personally disagree with the idea Bortles should improve more on the practice field before getting in there. There's only so much improvement that can be made on the practice field before you play in live games. Look at Gabs. From accounts, he was good to great on the practice field, but the moment he got to live games, he was jittery and terrible at his job. I also think that Bortles can make the team better offensively. That team in the first half who was throwing the ball pretty well is not a bad offensive team. The team in the second half with a bad to mediocre QB was a bad offensive team.

Member: OS Uni Snob Assoc.
OS OT Post Champ '11

Twitter: @TheGIGGAS_OS
Xbox Live: TheGIGGAS
3DS: 1349-7755-3870
Advertisements - Register to remove