View Single Post
Old 10-11-2014, 08:26 PM   #18
MarketingWiz
Pro

OVR: 5
Re: An epiphany about penalty sliders

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingV2k3
It should help, due to increase in duration of block...but it should also affect run blocking, so be aware of that possibility...

I'm also currently seeing some success for others who are using really high RTP values like 85....so, my post with 5 may prove to be infearior to that high setting...

Either way, Im pretty convinced that the RTP penalty slider is a key component to the sack issue...

I look forward to your guys take on that!

Ironic that initially the prevailing thought was that the PEN SLIDERS had not effect on the play on the field.

Lab work, lab work, lab work. As all veteran slider pundits know, the "fix" is in the "mix," and the "mix" is in the futzing, playing, observing, charting, adjusting, playing, observing, charting until the game and the stats are in the ballpark of what happens on Monday's, Thursday's and Sunday's.

Since my PM has been crushed with requests for a peek into my lab data, let me share the following benchmarks that I typically try to work within:

1) On typical 4 - 5 man rushes by the CPU (DL and a LB or a DL and a Safety), with only the OL blocking, the pocket must hold for at least 2.5 seconds (yessss, even if it is JJ Watt bringing the heat) and no more than 3.0 seconds... Anything less or longer and you are outside of NFL norms for pocket sustainability. Note: If the CPU is able to get an UNBLOCKED pass rusher, then the time to sack is 1.4 secs to 1.7 secs.

Why does the Wiz track this? Because time to pass the ball is also related to QB ACC (higher the ACC, the better pocket, and time to see the play develop, less sacks, etc.).... Being able to have a pocket is a key component of the NFL passing game. If your pocket, or if the CPU's pocket, breaks down to quickly, it will impact the mix of passes, completion percentage and my favorite, AIR YARDS per ATTEMPT .

AIR YARDS per ATTEMPT is another metric I measure (Total Passing Yards - Yards After the Catch= AYA). Basically my theory is that for a Madden QB's numbers to fall within NFL averages, they must complete passes down field and not just drag routes and dump-off's. So, once again, to achieve this, you need to be able to THROW DOWN FIELD, hence you need pocket time.

Time to get back to the 'Bama - Razorback game.