greed8819
Rookie

greed8819's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: Reaction Time & Pass Cover Focus Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oraeon1224
I have tested these fairly well:

Pass coverage: The lower the setting the more the likely the defender will blow their coverage and leave the WR open. This appears to provide a boost to the WR route running when it is calculated against the CB Man or zone coverage rating (very obvious with man coverage in testing). If set high the defenders stay closer to the WR and the game looks more like the NFL.

Pass reaction: There is a visible closure difference between players and the ball while it is in the air...maybe. While I could see a decrease in sacks with Pass coverage lower (open recievers) I couldn't really tell a difference with this one. Subjectively lower appears to increase closer but not route coverage. However, I am not convinced I am right. EA really needs to clarify what sliders actually do.

What does this mean:
Ideally high pass coverage and low pass reaction will give you an NFL Sunday game...not really. If you watch the NFL carefully you will see numerous blown coverages. The game actually looks fairly good at default setting. Unfortunately that doesn't mean the game plays well.

Try setting the game with Pass coverage to 100. You will see the CPU QB having an increased number of sacks or short dumpoff plays. You will not see any big plays downfield. The completion percentage may or may not change depending on if he gets passes off before a sack. You will also find the AI cannot seem to score in the redzone except on runs.

Now set the game with Pass coverage to 0 and you will see the CPU QB taking shots downfield and taking less sacks (in testing about 4 sacks less out of 40 snaps). The AI will actually score passing touchdowns. However, it will not look as authentic.

Conclusion: You can't win it either looks better but the stats are not as realistic or it looks worse but can get slightly better stats. I prefer seeing Payton Manning throw for 300 yards with several great deep balls and make TD completions. I prefer to have default pass coverage against myself and have the player setting to a low value (at even 30 I rarely see good down field passing by the CPU on AllPro). I then set QB ACC to a very low value and increase WR drops so CPU completion percentage is accurate. Nothing is perfect just arrange it to whatever makes you happy.

Now if EA will work harder on the sack issue it will be a fairly decent game.
You are correct and spot on, great way to "word" this.... Higher Pass Coverage the longer the DB stays with the WR and Higher Reaction the faster the DB breaks on the ball after the QB releases it. I have no DOUBT these two sliders are not reversed.
Advertisements - Register to remove