View Single Post
Old 11-13-2014, 12:47 PM   #41
whosnext00
Pro

whosnext00's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: An epiphany about penalty sliders

It is true that each slider set needs it's own set of penalties. For example, one slider set might have Offsides at 99 and False Start at 50, which would require IG to be around 80. Another set might have this reversed so that would require IG to be 0. Reason is not in the penalty slider itself, as in IG, but more so in the way the numbers add up.

I'd like you to venture on the beaten path and put DPI/OPI at 1/11 respectively but change nothing else from whatever set you're using. Play a game in CFM and quit before 4th qtr is over. Afterwards change it to 10/10. Play the same game. You will notice a dramatic change in the overall gameplay and stats.

If you put WR Catch at 0 for the CPU, theoretically this will make every WR drop passes (not true for USER). This is not true, you can use DPI/OPI/IG to offset the WR Catch. These can also be used to offset QBA.

Actually you can put all USER sliders at 0, leave CPU at 50 and it won't make a bit of difference. You can use the penalties to create your gameplay.

Recently I tested Pro with all sliders at 50/50 and only adjusted the penalties. I was able to get true QB comp%, true sacks and so on. I also personally feel that animations are much better on Pro, the only problem is making the game challenging. After all the testing I have done on Madden 15, reverse engineering the intended difficulties and so on. I think the programmers intention was to make Pro the default with all sliders at 50/50 which makes the gameplay based on the players rating instead of AI intervention due to slider manipulation. Actually you can get the same result from All-Pro by putting all sliders at 25/25, the animations just aren't as good.

One of the main reasons we keep running into weird issues is because we are manipulating the game away from it's defaults values. Sliders sets and penalties with numbers like 33/11/65/40/20 but they all add up to a non-default number. From a programmers perspective, this makes sense as it's much easier and much more stable to "hard-code" a set of default values than it is to make a program compensate for any set of values, especially when it's between 0 and 100 with multiple parts (sliders) that affect one another.

EDIT: This also applies to the other default values for each difficulty. Sorry, meant to explain that.

My suggestion for any future slider gurus, at least for Madden 15, is to adjust the sliders with the default values in mind, this means 50 x the amount of options. For penalties, this would be 11 options so the default value is 550. For sliders; and this part is only a theory based on my experience as a developer, each section is broken off into parts, such as QBA/PB/WRC, so each section needs to add up to its own default value which would make all the sliders equal the total default value. Hope this helps someone, man I should've made this into a post of it's own lol.

How about that for a response

EDIT: BTW, the sweet spot for OPI/DPI is 10/10 or 90/90, whichever you prefer based on your other penalty settings.

Last edited by whosnext00; 11-13-2014 at 01:41 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove