View Single Post
Old 01-10-2015, 10:01 PM   #223
Bobhead
Pro

OVR: 24
Re: MLB 15 The Show Has New Human IK Engine, Tag System, Commentary, Overhauled Franc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Of The Year
This is 100% spot on. It's been said before people would listen to Vin Scully (or Morgan Freeman, for that matter)
read the phonebook. I'd think there are very few people who would pay to hear Vasgersian read a recipe book
That's a terrible metric for evaluating commentators though. There are 30 teams in baseball each with 2-4 commentators. But is there anyone else besides Scully that you'd really want to hear read a phonebook? Is there anyone on ESPN you want to hear read a phone book? I bet not. Nonetheless, ESPN is still watched by quite a few people. And the other 29 teams do an okay job at retaining viewers and ratings.

Sure we could get some better voices, but there are a ton of great commentators who do well without a "magic voice," and their success is entirely attributable to the analysis and insight they provide, their ability to capture attention with comedy, or with interesting and unusual stories, etc...

I mean Joe Buck literally has a vocal chord disorder that limits his inflections, and makes him sound uninvolved like 99% of the time. People would literally pay money to NOT hear him read a phone book. And yet he's a decent commentator, certainly not even the worst analyst on his own team.

I'm of the opinion that the voice behind The Show really doesn't matter at all. It's definitely not as important as others here seem to be suggesting.