Old 01-23-2015, 01:41 PM   #7
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47
Re: Press Row Podcast: Life and Basketball with Da Czar

Quote:
Originally Posted by rspencer86
Czar's story is a great lesson for all of you business owners or hiring managers out there:

HIRE PASSIONATE PEOPLE.

Sometimes folks get so stuck on looking at degrees, GPAs, "relevant experience", etc. that they miss one of the biggest factors in determining whether a person will be successful or not: passion. Without knowing anything about Czar's education and technical ability, you just KNOW he has had and will continue to have a huge positive impact on future 2K titles because of the energy and care he brings to the table.

Not saying that experience and technical ability are irrelevant, but it's frustrating to see people with a fire in their belly being passed up for a clock-puncher who happens to have the "right" degree.

Excellent show Rich and Czar, one of my favorites I've heard yet.
Well-said, Spencer. There are some companies out there that don't get entirely caught up in experience and degrees (my current job being one of those) and will hire a less-experienced person if he/she shows a passion for the industry.

The "lack of experience" for me is always a cop-out for companies. How can one gain experience without being employed for said job? Silly to just dismiss someone that's just starting out or who has decided to make a career change.

Give me someone that has passion any day over a curmudgeon that's been clearly jaded by the industry.
EA Sports PGA Tour (PS5)
PGA Tour 2K23 (PS5)
Super Mario Bros. Wonder (Switch)