Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Freak Recruits?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrew2411
My current tailback...

Stephen Diggs- 6'2" 225lbs- Senior(Rs)
99spd, 97agl, 99acc, 89trk, 82str

He is a 99ovr HB but he was an athlete I recruited to play safety. I didn't look at his ratings all that close as a freshman since I had 4 tailbacks at the time. I placed him at safety and red shirted him, but at seasons end I had lost all 4 tailbacks, 2 to the draft and 2 to transfer. So I was looking at my current recruits and I had some slower guys coming in but has looking for that game breaker. I was looking at moving a corner who was just fast with no real running back skills when I noticed Diggs. At that time his speed was a 95 and his acc was a 97 so it had me thinking. Then I looked at his coverage abilities that were in the high 60s to low 70s so it only made sense to move him over.

He has been a 4 year starter, won the 2025 Heisman, and is a lock to be a 1st round pick. The guy does not play as fast as the ratings would lead you to think but in open space he can run. He is great on kickoffs but not my best, that belongs to my #2 FS Alex Rivers.
Sounds like a real freak. I would have had a hard time not putting him at WR though. 99 speed means if he can get off the jam at the line he can get open deep all the time, and speed would come in to play more at that than anywhere else. I understand the roster situation though. If you have an RB with low 90's speed, he will generally be able to do all the things a guy with 99 speed can, since low 90's will still beat most of the defense to the edge on outside plays, and its rare that an RB gets into a race running up the middle. And crazy as it sounds, running up the middle with a guy with extreme speed can hurt you because you'll run right into tackers, whereas a slightly slower guy will give you more time to read the blocks and adjust. Catch ratings also really only matter when getting jump balls or when the receiver is taking a hit right after the ball getting there.

I had a WR who was a 99 speed. He easily won returner of the year rookie year, and was near impossible to cover on the outside.

Last edited by conception; 01-31-2015 at 01:51 AM.