View Single Post
Old 02-20-2015, 10:21 PM   #344
mrhenry209
Rookie

mrhenry209's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: MLB 15 The Show Livestream - Cubs vs. Pirates: Full Game (Archive Available)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kernel Pie
Good lord: the exact same pregame, pre at-bat, post pitch, and post at-bat animations from last year (sorry, last 4 years), to the absolute letter? On a 2nd try on a next-gen system? Wow.

90% of this game on the field (in broadcast mode) is the pitcher batter animations - since they never cut to anything else - and they have been exactly the same (literally) since introduced in MLB 12. I mean you're talking 4 straight years with not one new animation (aside from a few notable batters having individual traits). That's just plain lazy.

What good reason does any long-term player have for playing this game in broadcast mode this year? To stare at the the exact same animations they've been seeing for 4 years straight? (And there's only like 30 of them anyway)

And then, if you're not gonna update the animations in 4 years, then at least have an option for continuous play with no cutscenes. Basically the pitcher catches the ball and resets in real time.

Oh well, another year of fast play, I guess. I love the show, but this franchise is officially stale and needs some healthy competition. Too many damn monopolies in sports gaming !!
The two options for The Show devs at this point would be

1. Complete reset, with a brand new graphics engine, new player models, all-new stadiums, commentary, etc. As with 2k's reset for 2k7, this would mean few personalized animations with a focus on the graphics/presentation. Or...

2. Continue refining the game, adding in all the imaginable options, animations, personalizations, bells & whistles while the core game and graphics remain the same or slightly improved/refined.

Either way, the commentary and online play hold the game back from what has been expected--and executed--in other sports games on the last generation. While I am excited for and will purchase 15, I can only hope that they are taking a long look at both (especially commentary) for 16, as it has remained virtually unchanged since 06, with the simple addition of some lines and broadcasters. The interaction between them is non-existent, and for some reason they have not taken a look into mimicking what other sports games do with commentary to make it fluid, rather than hearing "[First name]...[last name]..........................is at the plate.........3 for 4 in the game today" every time.

Just my 2 cents, I apologize for the length, and a huge thanks to SCEA for entertaining us with these live looks!
NFL: Detroit Lions