Old 02-23-2015, 12:49 PM   #91
TarHeelbred33
Rookie

TarHeelbred33's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: Playbook Talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jello1717
Here's how I recruit for the 3-4 (I've only ever run a 3-4 for about the last 5 or 6 NCAA releases).

I don't position change anyone.
For my DL I try to only recruit guys w/ good BSH (ideally my DEs will also have great FMV and my DTs have great PMV). This goes for both DTs and DEs. My DEs are almost always my sack leaders unless I have a truly studly DT. Against the pass I'll usually bring 4 rushers, sometimes 5 and rarely 6. Those 4th, 5th, and 6th guys can come from anywhere, but it's still my front 3 that generates most of the pressure. When my DL is not very good I'll obviously need to bring more blitzes, However, when I've got a studly DL, they usually do a good job of getting pressure and I can run much more 3 and 4 man rushes than when my DL sucks.
Against the run, my DL is usually very stout, tying up the blockers and letting my LBs do their thing. This is the case even though my DTs usually average 290 and my DEs usually average 255-260. Out of principle I usually won't recruit DEs that are too light in the @ss (220s/230s) even though I know that, in game, their weight doesn't matter.

For MLBs they have to be able to tackle. I'll take the 85 TKL/ 75 SPD MLB over the 75 TKL/85 SPD MLB every time. They are always my leading tacklers (DUH!) so it's very important that they can tackle since they're usually in position to make the tackle.

For OLBs I always start a great pass rushing guy (high BSH/FMV/PMV). This guy plays LOLB for me as he's the one w/ his hand in the dirt in 3-3-5 SAM when I run that. I also have start 1 good coverage OLB who plays ROLB for me. This is because in 4 DL nickles and dollar, the ROLB is the one on the field so he needs to be able to cover.

I've never had an issue finding players that can fill my needs at any position without the need to position change anyone.
I think your DEs are where we would differ in philosophy. If I am running a 34 my DE would not be leading my team in sacks. I want a BIG line to occupy blocks(270+ on the end and 300+ at the nose).

I want pass rushing OLB's who can get to the QB without bringing extra pressure and need to be able to shed blocks. This is why I am thinking for my 34, I would need to recruit pass rushing ends for OLB. I am then looking for athletic MLB's who can cover and get to the ball carrier.

I am thinking 34 would be my base and 425 as my nickel coverage moving the OLB's to the ends, a NT, and a RDT in the middle.
Advertisements - Register to remove