View Single Post
Old 03-03-2015, 07:15 PM   #1
jbrew2411
MVP

jbrew2411's Arena

OVR: 13
Not another NCAA 14 Slider Thread!

I wanted to update this thread since it has been 5 years since I posted it.

At this point we have got to play a lot of NCAA 14 since it came out in July 2013. All of us have experienced the 2nd half collapse of cpu teams during dynasty mode. That is why I went on a quest in March 2015 to find a solution. I posted this thread after 1 dynasty season worth of testing because I was sure what I found was the game saver I needed and thought it might be what other needed too.

Turn the fatigue setting off

Now it has been 5 years worth of playing the game over multiple dynasties and I think I can now truly post my findings.

The Cons
I want to post the cons for you first so you don't have to waste time reading this post beyond this point.

*With fatigue off you will not see the cpu sub players out in played human v cpu games: You can find a work around with formation subs. I always use formation subs on my part so I make sure I am getting multiple players in. Even with fatigue on and auto sub settings I was not seeing a ton subbing occurring outside of late in the 2nd or 4th quarters. As a former high school coach I will tell you that is not the time you want backups in the game. I want them in during the 1st/early 2nd or in the 3rd. I found that subs are not impacted in simmed games or cpu v cpu games. I can not speak for coach mode as I don't buy into the whole watching a video game playout, I play the game.

Pros for using fatigue off

*The cpu plays a complete game: You will find the cpu will play a complete 4 quarter game on any time setting. I have seen the cpu make 4th quarter come backs, blow me out for 4 quarters, and elevate the over all play. With that said I have had a number of games where my team just played better and the cpu "gives up." Anyone who has played or coached sports knows when you are getting beat bad you have players phone it in. I have seen that go both ways where my team did it and the cpu do it. It adds realism for me.

*The cpu run game is vastly improved: The cpu will run the ball all game long. If the coach is balanced then they will run the ball as many times as they pass. The cpu will control the game with through the run. With slider sets I found the ones where the rund blocking and RB ability was turned way up could get the cpu to run better, but it was not like the cpu does with fatigue off. A good rated back will go over 100 if you don't adjust. I have had games were a great back went of 200+ on me. I have only had the top rush defense 1 time in 40+ dynasty seasons; with fatigue on and other slider sets I was always ranked #1.

*Cpu play calling is greatly improved: Since turning fatigue off I have seen a reduction in the number of tailback screen plays called a game and when they are called. They are still in the game and the only way to get rid of them is take them out of playbooks but they are a part of football. I have seen them called more on 1st and 2nd down and way less on 3rd down. I do still see them called often when it is 3rd and long but that is a safe play that most coaches would call in real life.

My settings
I follow the less is more approach with most sports games. The game was made for anyone to pick up and play. There are things you can't get rid of due to programing. It is a EA created football video game so it will not play like real life. At this point with the state Madden is in I just want a game I can enjoy playing while getting the most challenge without tipping the scale. For me this is what works, but I am not like every one of you. I would suggest you find your own set based off default.

Here is my setup....
Roster: Original 2013 roster file from OS. A copy is under my 360 gametag: jbrew2411
Offense: Heisman (played on AA but felt really easy most games for my skill)
Defense: Heisman (same as the offense)
Injury: On (I have seen more injuries once the original roster file cycles out but will see a few occur in the first 5 seasons)
Fatigue: OFF (this is the key to everything I have found. The cpu comes to life. Overall game play is improved)
Speed Threshold: 45-50 (based on my defense do I change this setting. A 90ovr or higher defense I found 45 to work better, seems to slow defense down more than offense. I use 50 for any defense below 90 ovr.)
Home Field Advantage: OFF (I found this to impact the way the cpu plays greatly. I turned it on for 2 seasons using a cupcake roster teambuilder team of mine. In year 2 and 3 I won the national title winning every game by 21+. This was a sub 70 ovr team. I turned it off for year 4 where I returned 19 or 22 starters including my QB and struggled to win 4 games. That was all I needed to know it played a role.)
Ice the Kicker: On (only seems to impact the kicker but coach skill tree can trump it.)

Penalty Sliders: All set to 50 or on

Sliders: User/CPU
QB Acc: 50/50
Pass: 50/50
Run: 50/50
RB Ability: 50/50
WR Catch: 50/50
Pass Cover: *55/50
INT:: **55/35
Reaction: 50/50
Tackle: ***50/10

*I have the pass coverage set at 55 for any human defense below a 90ovr or when the DC skill tree does not have maxed out d-line and coverage skills.

**I have the INT slider for human at 55 if pass coverage is at 55; I keep both set the same as my defense improves. I have the cpu always set at 35 due to the over powered number of picks the human will throw. I coached high school QBs for 10 years, a few have even been on the rosters in the game and Madden, but even throwing safe throws turns into picks due to the way the cpu is programmed. I still throw picks but its more in line with real life numbers.

***I have the cpu tackle slider at 10 always because its college football and missed tackles happen. The cpu will generate enough at the human setting at 50. I have given up enough 100-200+ yard games.

Coach Skill Tree:
I do not limit myself at all. I adjust a few sliders based on my OC/DC skill tree.

House Rules:
I have thrown most of them out. Money plays still work but the cpu will react if you run the same play multiple times in a row. Roll out with QB still works so make your choice, I roll out to avoid sacks. Recruiting is still glitched, I try to keep it realistic. I play to win the game, with fatigue off you will need to have that mind set.

Overall: The fatigue setting I have found improves the game play in the areas of cpu run game, cpu play calling, cpu playing an entire game, and the variety of games. I was at a point where I was ready to put NCAA 14 away forever until I made this find. I know there are a number of the slider guys that don't like it, but I also don't like the way the game plays with their sliders. Settings and sliders are not for everyone. So if you are looking to make the cpu play better without making the game unfair then give it a try. Try my settings as a base or try some of the slider makers sets but try them with fatigue off. I have seen a few post how they use other sets but turn fatigue off. I can't stop playing the game.

Good luck! Please post your experiences or sliders you are using as it might help others. If it happens to not be for you then move on to the next thread, no hard feelings.

Last edited by jbrew2411; 10-22-2020 at 01:52 PM. Reason: 5 years later!
Advertisements - Register to remove