Old 03-08-2015, 03:24 PM   #99
nomo17k
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38
Re: MLB 15 The Show Player Ratings - Top Rated Players For Each Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavicchi
I don't see the relevance of what a student does in Middle School to what a professional baseball player does in the major leagues. Hamilton played in 152 games last year, and you know his caught stealing percentage--he is not Ricky Henderson. Now he may at some point get to that stage, but as of now he is not and should be rated accordingly, and that is my opinion.

I already said minor league stats for rookies is a basis, not disputing that, but Hamilton has had a full season in the majors.

Obviously we don't agree on Hamilton.
I wasn't making a direct analogy between math students and baseball players... that was clearly not my point. I was making an analogy though comparing people performing at slightly different level of competition within the same skill category (one group in math, another in baseball).

I'm not going to agree or disagree with you on anything, because I'm not really interested in one person's opinion in general, as doing so isn't all that meaningful in a random forum like this.

... but your comparing Hamilton to Rickey Henderson doesn't really make sense as well, as Rickey actually illustrates the point that I was making about the difficulty of quantifying base steal ability simply through stats like SB and CS.

Do you know who is ahead in career SB success rate over Rickey? Someone like Jayson Werth comes ahead of Henderson (http://www.baseball-reference.com/le...c_career.shtml). If you don't get this point, I don't know how it's worth having any discussion.....