Old 03-08-2015, 06:29 PM   #102
nomo17k
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38
Re: MLB 15 The Show Player Ratings - Top Rated Players For Each Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavicchi
I fail to see what your comparison between Werth and Henderson proves. I said Hamilton is not Ricky Henderson, meaning, Hamilton has not proven himself to be a top-notch base stealer like Henderson.

If you feel an opinion, or my opinion, is not important, why are you continuing this discussion? You see, I'm different, I feel forum discussions are meaningful with people exchanging ideas and opinions.

My point is that you cannot simply use SB success rate (especially when the sample is small) to rate player's innate ability to steal (does not matter who that is, Hamilton or Henderson). My example with Werth and Henderson is that just by looking at MLB SB success rate, as you seem to selectively do with Hamilton, Werth may actually be a better base stealer than Henderson. Which could be the case, if Werth is really that good and can maintain his high SB success rate after making steal attempts as frequently as Henderson did... But our "impression" (and mostly likely their skill difference) is that Henderson is indeed much better stealer than Werth is. But that doesn't necessarily translate into SB success rate, for reasons that I've mentioned.

And note that I've never really made any claim about Hamilton's ability to steal. Again, I am just making a general comment, not how Hamilton is rated specifically.

I tend to respond to whoever quote me or respond to what I write so that was just that. But I did not include your post in my original post (I'd quote if I am specifically responding to something) simply because I knew how initiating a discussion with you won't end up being meaningful. Sorry to be blunt, but that has always been the case with a couple posters here in this forum... so I now avoid chiming in these days. I will simply go back not responding to your post at all. And please understand that when I post something, it won't be in an attempt to respond to you.

I just wanted to share with others how it might not be so trivial to rate base stealer's ability from traditional stats. It was totally not directed to you, Cavicchi, and I even actually wanted to avoid this meaningless back and forth.